Wordpress + Local by Flywheel not giving options for plugins/themes

I’m on OS High Sierra and am having trouble with my Wordpress website via the local host on Flywheel.
It appears that I cannot add themes or plugins. I’ve contacted the support and spent a few hours googling the problem and still haven’t been able to resolve it. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Local by Flywheel.

The problem is I don’t have any of the normal options below the plugins and themes section on Wordpress. I feel like the site isn’t actually connected to Local, as I’ve tried making changes live and those haven’t shown through.

I was able to add a plugin by dragging the folder I had on my computer into the folder: local site - my site - app - public - wp content - plugins, which worked for the plugin but not for themes.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I’ve included a few screenshots.

HI @heather

It looks like this is a Multisite WordPress installation – I can tell because there is the “My Sites” link in the upper left hand corner.

Multisite mode for WordPress is significantly different than the regular vanilla version of WordPress. One of those differences is how plugins and themes are installed. Individual subsites cannot add plugins or themes. Instead, you need to install them on the network, and then enable them for the individual subsites. Here’s a good blog post detailing the specifics of why you can’t install plugins or themes: http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/why-do-you-not-see-all-plugins-on-wordpress-multisite-installs/

Because of this, and other complexities, I tend to recommend that people don’t use Multisite unless they have a very specific use case.

You might also consider creating a new, non-multisite on Local, and then you can use WordPress like you are used to.

Hope that helps clarify things!

– Ben