Trust SSL certificates in 6.3.1

Some more detail: I am on MacOS. I downgraded to 6.3.0 and still have the same problem. Local sites are completely unusable in Chrome.

1 Like

Local sites have become unusable for me in chrome - I’ve been having some version of this issue for 6-8 months now (see my original post: SSL Not working on Chrome with NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID).

I’m on the latest version of Monterey. Everything else about my set up is standard.

1. I get the HEADS UP for each and every site now when I hit TRUST
  2. Fiddling in Mac Keychain does nothing.

Sigh… Local used to be such a saviour - all the SSL used to work perfectly. Now it’s just a mess.

Software entropy…

1 Like

Hey all - Local Beta 6.4.1 was released late last week, and it includes a fix for the regression introduced in 6.3.1 mentioned in the original post. I was out last week or I would have posted here sooner!

The download link is here: Local Beta 6.4.1

From our testing prior to creating the build, and now testing again with the published build, we believe the problem is fixed on MacOS. Our plan is to slowly roll 6.4.1 out to all users over the course of this week.

In the meantime, would anyone here be able to download the build, attempt creating a site and trusting the SSL and confirm it does as you’d expect? Always good to have more people confirming they’re seeing success!

Thx Austin,

It now does show correctly if a certificate has been trusted. If i create a new site and trust it, it seems to work. No ERR_CERT_INVALID is popping up, though Chrome is showing it’s an unsafe site. But this should not be an issue.

But still i’m receiving ERR_CERT_INVALID on all my existing sites. I’ve issued a new certificate and trusted it in the keychain.
I have tried multiple versions of Local and couldn’t get it to work. You are not implying that i have to recreate all sites? That would be like 40…

One thing to notice: If i trust an existing site, the certificate in the keychain says something like: this certificate has not been trusted by a third party. This wont be fixed by trusting it manually.

If i add a new site with the current beta version it just says that the root certificate is not trust worthy which i can fix by trusting it.

MacOS 12.4
Local: 6.2.1, 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.4.0, 6.4.1

Some tips for other users:

1. After adding the certificate in Local (using MacOS), you have to manually edit the newly created certificate in the keychain. (Keychain → System → Certificates). For this you have to open it and select trust all. You will be asked for your password.

2. If you get the ERR_CERT_INVALID message in chrome, just type “thisisunsafe” while Chrome is having the focus. Thats like clicking the button to proceed anyways, which is missing since a few versions of Chrome.

3. If you want to use the Local by Flywheel beta version with your existing sites (MacOS), go to ~/.Library/Application Support/ and rename “Local” to “Local Beta”. Restart Local Beta and your sites should show up.

1 Like

Have you tried to first remove the old certificates located in the Application Support folder and then recreate new certificates for the existing sites?

~/Library/Application\ Support/Local/run/router/nginx/certs

2 Likes

Renaming/removing the entire certs folder does fix it for me.
Now the certificates are being recreated and after trusting them manually in the keychain, all problems are gone.

Thanks a lot and thumbs up for the new beta version.

1 Like

Good to know this fixed your problem as well. I think this needs to be addressed as well @austinwendt At least via a support article with some more information and a special release note.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree - I appreciate you checking on the build, and you too @Imothep! I will adjust the release notes accordingly, make a post here with those instructions to reference too, and work with our help doc team to get a more complete help doc. I’m wondering if it should be on it’s own or live as an FAQ/Troubleshooting here - thoughts? Managing a Local site’s SSL certificate in macOS - Local

@austinwendt I would probably say that it should be a section in the main article “Managing a Local site’s SSL certificate in macOS”.

2 Likes

I cannot believe this is still not fixed. Just created a new site… it won’t trust the cert.

Am I really the only one still having cert issues all these months later?

I’m still having issues as well. New computer, fresh install of Local, and brand new WP install as well, and tried a lot of the methods above. Still combing through everything I can find though.

@arecian No, you are not alone in this.

Local 6.5.2+6204 on macOS Ventura 13.1; still the same problem.
But at least we get a nice message telling us that trusting the certificate did not work;

“Heads-up! We ran into an issue trusting the Local SSL Certificate.”

Noe there is a handy link; “Read more” that points to a very informative page that states; manually always trust the certificate in Keychain Access.

Unfortunately, the certificate to trust, is not even there. No matter how many times I click the “trust” button in LocalWP, nor on which site to do so; none of them appears in the keychain.

I followed the very clear directions in SSL Certificate on macOS - Local and it all went fine, except that I still get SSL errors visiting the site in Firefox (v109). All other browsers are ok. Firefox says:

buildcommonwealth.local uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT

@austinwendt Still having SSL issues on macOS Ventura with Local 6.6.1+6281. Forcing Keychain to trust the certificate seems to work though.

Having this SSL issue again as well on Local 6.6.1+6281 running MacOS Ventura 13.2.1. Things I’ve tried:

• Removing the cert from Keychain Access and creating a new one.
  • Restarting Local
  • Clearing browser cache and refreshing
  • Still getting cert error in Chrome Version 110.0.5481.100 shown below

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you tried to remove both the certificates from Keychain Access and the certificates located in the Application Support folder and then recreate new certificates for the existing sites?

~/Library/Application\ Support/Local/run/router/nginx/certs

@emmtre That did the trick! Thanks so much!

@theheartypixel Good to hear that it solved your problem with the certs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.