Accessing WP-Admin fails with SSL error

Issue Summary

Accessing WP-Admin always uses SSL and it fails to connect.
Changing the URL to HTTP causes it to redirect to HTTPS.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    I only have one.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    yes

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?
    Version 6.6.1+6281

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

• _macos 13.2.1
  • Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

Error

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to localhost:10004. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

local-lightning.log (29.1 KB)

Hello @Zeff - welcome to the Local community! :wave:

Have you reviewed this article about SSL + MacOS?

There are also some troubleshooting steps I would recommend looking through here:

Let’s start there!

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for these articles.
However, there is no Trust link (see attached screenshot).
The message “SSL Note! HTTPS is not available when using the localhost Routing Mode” and what is occurring, are confusing.

Hi @Zeff -

Ah, understood. You can change your Router Mode by heading to Local > Preferences > Advanced > Router mode > Site domains

Shared with CloudApp

Let me know if this helps!

Sam

This is what I received on changing the Settings.
Examining keychain and there is no certificate created.
Learn more was not at all helpful.

Hi @Zeff -

Thanks for bearing with me here, now you’ll want to run through the keychain steps shown in this help doc I shared above:

Can you try that and let me know if it works for you?

Sam

Hi @Zeff -

I also didn’t ask earlier, was this an imported site or did you create a new site in Local?

Sam

Hi Sam,

Same problem.
I imported the site from WPEngine.

BTW there are two files in the cert folder - cert and key. I deleted both. Perhaps the docs need updating?

Hi @Zeff -

Got it. Thanks for those details!

Are you able to create a new site in Local with default settings, and successfully enable SSL (following the guide I sent above)?

If so, I’m wondering if maybe something about your imported site is redirecting http:// to https:// (like a plugin or override in a file) and causing issues.

Let me know,

Sam

Created a test site and same issue.

I am a noob when it comes to certs.
Perhaps this is germane: I have a localhost cert for a NAS device.
Could this be conflicting?

Hi Sam, i restarted Local, and attempted to trust “test” again, and again, got the error.
In keychain I found test.local and set the Trust to always.
On returning to Local, test is now trusted.
Then I went back to woodmood and it is also trusted.
However, when I attempt to open the site, I get “there is a port conflict with the site’s domain”.

I ran activity monitor and com.apple.geod appears to be listening on port 80.
It appears that port 80 is used by numerous apple services: TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support
When I attempt to open site, I am taken to woodmood.local and the page displays “unknown app”.
if I type “localhost:80” into the URL bar I also get “unknown app”.

1 Like

Sam, you’re MIA.
I rebooted and tried again, but with the same result.
Switching router mode to localhost, I was able to access the sites.

Is this a macOS issue, in general, or specific to my computer?

Hi @Zeff -

Thank you for all of these details, it’s very helpful to see the various things you tried along the way.

Reading through - it sounds like switching router mode back to localhost everything is working okay, correct?

Yes, I think there might be an issue with something conflicting with Local (specifically when you’re in the Site domains mode, which allows you to use SSL).

Have you attempted to reboot your machine?

I’m looking at a similar thread about a port conflict with MacOS and this user found success after a reboot:

Sam

Hi @Zeff -

Also, I would suggest checking out this part of our article about Router Mode that discusses how to stop whatever is running on Port 80:

Let me know if this helps!

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for that article—using lsof I found the process.
I could kick myself—I’m a Rails developer and I had puma-dev running as a background job.
Killing and unloading it did the trick!

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,
Rob

1 Like

Hi @Zeff -

So, so glad you got there!

Please be sure to circle back if you need any more support while you use Local.

Sam

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.