All my sites have been erased

What issue or error are you experiencing?

— I got a new laptop and am away on vacation, decided to install local to work on my sites , it sees me as a new user ,with none of my sites showing

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

i used to log into local with google, but once i logged today and saw no sites , i ldecided to log in by email, i had to reset my email password and the reset was sent to my correct email account , upon login in, still no sites with the system prompting me to create a new site

I have 3 clients im currently working with and now i have no access to their sites, to say im freakig out will be an understatement

I have no way of veryfying if my old sites are still on my computer at home, but loggin in with my credentials at htis moment in time gives me a totally empty local.

System Details

• Local Version: downloaded the most recent version today

• Operating System (OS) and OS version: microsoft 11

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hey - you have to put your sites on your computer at home up somewhere. Then you have to pull them down into your laptop. One won’t update the other. It’s essentially a single local dev environment. If you’ve never pushed your sites out to somewhere else, you can’t access them from local, as the name of the tool suggests… it’s just on your LOCAL computer.

Most of my sites are also on Flywheel as the host. If you pushed the latest version of any of your sites there (or to WPEngine’s hosting), you should be able to pull them down into your local install on your laptop.

Otherwise, the only way I’ve been able to do it - say for example if you have a new site that hasn’t been put out on a host somewhere else - is to back up the site - save a zipped version somewhere on your desktop - and then put the zipped backup somewhere in the cloud. You should then be able to pull it in to your laptop’s install of Local and install it in Local as a new site.

I’m sure there are other ways to do this (Git / Github maybe? not sure as I’ve not used that for a long time)…

Good luck.

1 Like

Also - are you using Flywheel or WP Engine as a host? If so, you should be able to connect to your account there and pull in the last version you pushed there from your desktop.

Otherwise you won’t be able to access the sites until you get home and can copy them over to the laptop.

Hi @LOU1 - Sorry for the scare here but @TracyTra is correct. This is expected behavior. Local sites are saved to your machine and your machine only that you originally worked on with Local. If you want to access them from another machine, you’ll need to save them to Cloud storage, or even a portable harddrive as well.

If you utilize out Cloud Backups add on, you can save the sites from one machine and pull them down to another:

Cloud Backups

But you can also simply export them to save to your own place as well:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info will look into this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Tracy for reaching out, the solution indeed is simple , didnt think of it being local ! Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

Glad you’re all set @LOU1 and thank you for the help @TracyTra! Closing this our for now but if you have any other questions or concerns don’t hesitate to reach back out. We are always happy to help!