Cannot get .zip file to install

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I have a mac & am running Catalina 10.15.7. Local is up to date. I am trying to install a theme zip file I downloaded from Theme Forest called ‘BeTheme’. I have not used Local in a few years now but I do not recall it being so difficult to set up a site. The so-called installable zip file will not install, I get this error message ‘Sorry! We couldn’t figure out what to do with the import file provided. Please extract it manually.’ Could you please bring me up to speed and explain how I can install?

thank you,
rich

Hi @born2fly

I’m a little unclear is the ZIP file your entire site including WP Content and SQL or are you just trying to upload a theme here?

If it’s your whole site and you’re getting an incompatible zip file message you can try creating a new blank site in Local first, and then manually moving in your content and database. Instructions here:

Manually Import a Local Site

If you’ve already got a site going and you’re just looking to import the theme file you’ll go to the themes section of your WordPress dashboard and click on Add New Theme, Upload theme, and then select your file. You could also try installing the theme via SSH or SFTP as well.

Thank you for the guidance. This is a fresh install, no sites created yet. I unzipped the content into a folder and tried to do an import but Local didn’t like that either. I just feel really stupid :confounded: at the moment as I used to do this stuff on a regular basis without an issue but being away from it, I seem to have forgotten some details.

The good news, after stepping away for an hour, my synapsis starting firing on all 8 again. :slightly_smiling_face: It all started to come back to me and I was able to get the correct file(s) installed and working. :+1:

1 Like

Glad to hear it @born2fly! Hopefully it’s smooth sailing from here :slight_smile: Happy Developing

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.