Cannot install add-ons on Mac silicone

What issue or error are you experiencing?

Local newbie here. I cannot install add-ons, I get an error ’ Error Installing Add-on aborted’. When I try to install from disk using tgz files then they seem to install, but disappear after restart. Then if I try to install them normally it says error add-on already exists. This worked fine on my intel mac that I setup Local on first, so I wonder if this is a silicone machine issue?

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

System Details

• Local Version: Version 7.2.0+6425

• Operating System (OS) and OS version: Mac OS Ventura 13.5.1 (22G90)

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 09.40.46

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

As an update to this, using the 7.2 beta, I am able to install the add-ons but creating a site from a previous backup from my other computer doesn’t seem to be working. The sites never load or get a 502 error, or they get stuck in the ‘Starting Up Site Services’ part of the setup.

Further update. Copying the add-on folder contents from the beta folder to the regular version has worked. I was getting some routing issues but a system restart seems to have fixed that. By default the creation of the sites from backups was using nginx but switching that to apache seems to have solved a lot of the problems I was having. Touch wood it’s all working now.

@MrJ Glad you were able to get things working! Let us know if you have any continuing problems.

Thanks Nick. Now it’s working across two machine I’m not sure if I’m missing something with cloud sync. Every time I switch to a different computer do I need to setup the site i’m working on as a new site from the backup?

What I’d like to be able to do is have both sites setup once on each machine and just sync updates between them, ‘fast and easy’ like the docs say it is. Is that possible? Or do I have to create a new site from the latest backup every time?

I’m working between home and work computers daily so I really hope I don’t have to go through the latter process every day, else I might as well stick with MAMP and the migration plugin I was using before if that’s the case.

Every time I switch to a different computer do I need to set up the site I’m working on as a new site from the backup?

This is correct. On a new machine, you’d have to install Local, the add-on, and pull the site down for the first time to get it loaded.

What I’d like to be able to do is have both sites setup once on each machine and just sync updates between them, ‘fast and easy’ like the docs say it is. Is that possible? Or do I have to create a new site from the latest backup every time?

As of right now, it’s not quite that easy. You would still have to create a new backup after you make any changes on Machine 1, and then when you want to work on the site on Machine 2 you’d have to pull down the new backup.

I’m working between home and work computers daily so I really hope I don’t have to go through the latter process every day, else I might as well stick with MAMP and the migration plugin I was using before if that’s the case.

We understand you have to do what is best for your needs. Our Cloud Backups tool was mainly designed as a way to “save your work” and was not necessarily meant to be a migration/workflow hack originally. As we continue to get feedback and work with our users we’re always exploring ways to improve Local however! If you’d like to explore a plugin route we do recommend WP Migrate PRO which might work for your needs as well.

OK thanks for the detailed answer Nick

1 Like

Hey Nick, would the workflow I posted as a question in the workflow thread work or can you see any issues with it?

It appears that workflow doesn’t work. I get this error:

Sorry for the delay @MrJ

I’ve never tested that workflow myself so I wasn’t sure it was doable. Have you been able to resolve that error or not get past it?

Hi Nick. No, I didn’t get past that error. My hunt for the perfect cloud solution continues…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.