Can't create new sites or import site from .zip on Mac Silicon Sonoma

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I can’t create new sites or import a Local .zip from another computer running Local for Mac Silicon. Brand new Mac running Apple Silicon M2. Not running anything of interest. Local is one of the first programs installed.

Trying to get a new test install, seeing error about not being able to provision, then error about hosts file not being editable.

Trying to import a .zip of an install from another computer running Local, seeing error about hosts file not being editable. Screenshots attached.

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

Install Local for Mac Silicon on a new Mac Silicon M2 and try to create or import a site.

System Details

• Local Version: Version 8.3.2+6660

• Operating System (OS) and OS version: Mac Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224)

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

local-logs.zip (5.0 KB)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Please could you run this from a terminal, @alexwright? (Local currently requires Rosetta 2, and the error messages you helpfully shared suggest it is not installed.)

softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license

After than, restart Local and try creating new sites or importing one again.

Thanks, Nick. I found that on another similar help topic. Why does Rosetta need to run on Local for silicon? And why is there no notice about this or information about this rather convoluted way to run Local on a silicon mac?

This gets a mention on the minimum requirements section of our help doc here:

As for the why, as you may have read elsewhere, Rosetta 2 is required for Local’s Apple Silicon build due to the Nginx and MySQL Lighting Services compiled on the Intel architecture. We do plan to have a Local release out in the future that will drop this dependency but for now it is necessary.

Our Local Product Manager and myself have provided some updates on the progress for this here:

Thanks so much for your thorough reply @Nick-B - that all makes sense. I should have read more thoroughly. I figures since the application is marked as being silicon optimized that it woudn’t need Rosetta 2. Your roadmap looks cool!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.