Can't Log Into New Website at My Host

I have been struggling and working with my host on this issue for many hours.

I have developed a client’s website on my localhost with LocalWP and am ready to migrate it to my SiteGround GoGeek account. I have created the website account at SG and installed WP and WooCommerce. The client’s domain is parked elsewhere and pointing to SG’s servers started two days ago so propagation should be almost done. My host reports that everything is fine on their end and that they are able to log into the website’s WP dashboard.

My issue is that I am NOT able to log into the site’s WP dashboard from my iMac using Safari and Chrome. I am able to log into all my other sites at SG and can log into the new website from my PC laptop. LocalWP is NOT installed on my PC laptop.

I have consulted with three different host techs as well with their upper level tech support without discovering the cause or fix.

Could LocalWP be the cause of me not being able to log into the basic website at my host?

Although I’ve got WordPress and WooCommerce installed at the new website at my host, I still need to migrate the website in my LocalWP to my host.

How to fix?

UPDATE: I am able to log into the client’s newly created website account at SG on another iMac. This other iMac does NOT have LocalWP installed on it. I am thinking there is something in my primary iMac with LocalWP installed, that is preventing me from logging into the newly created website account. A permission perhaps?

I’m at a loss on how to fix this issue. I really need advice. I like using LocalWP / All-in-One WP Migration to build and go live with websites but I wish LocalWP tech support was more responsive.

This is likely because you have named the Local site identically to the remote site and your host file is dutifully directing you to the local site.

If you have a remote site at example.com and you have set your local site to example.com the host file will create an entry the sends example.com to localhost. This is why the default domain for Local is .local. Personally I have the default domain set for .test as this will never be a TLD and avoids the possible conflict with zero config setup on a Mac.

The local site is: ajs-happy-chick-farm.local and the remote site at my host is ajshappychick.farm.

Should I rename ajs-happy-chick-farm.local? Will I loose the website I’ve built if I rename? What should I do?

That seems like it should work.

I built this client’s site on my iMac using LocalWP so the only record of the site is on my iMac. I also have a few other site’s in-process on my iMac that I build using LocalWP.

I’m thinking I need to deactivate LocalWP, but am concerned about losing all the work on several sites.

How do I deactivate without losing all the work?

I’m at a standstill. Not only can I NOT log into my client’s WP dashboard from my iMac, where I have LocalWP installed and built the website, but I cannot increase the file size to migrate the All-in-One WP Migration plugin file from another computer. The website is too big. I’m on a high-end shared server account at my host and the account features don’t allow me to increase the file size.

One solution is to move to a Cloud account at my host, but the cost is significantly more per month. Being able to increase the file size for uploading the LocalWP file is, right now, the only reason I have to move to a Cloud account.

Thoughts?

After hours spent trying to figure out why I could access my client’s site’s WP dashboard and their live site, I discovered that LocalWP must have written block instructions in my iMac’s Terminal Utility to block the .local version that was on my computer. I removed the block instructions in Terminal and am now able to log into the site’s WP dashboard and see the site on the front-end.

I hope this information saves someone time in resolving the same issue I was having.

Can you clarify a little more by what was done here?

Did you edit the iMac’s Hosts file?

I edited my iMac’s Terminal Utility file which is, I believe, the iMac’s host’s file.

Unbeknownst to me, LocalWP evidently, writes to my Terminal Utility file, to block me from accessing a published (launched) website for any .local website I build within LocalWP. There are still some websites in-progress (not launched yet) in my Terminal Utility file that block me from logging in to or visiting those sites on the front-end. When I Iaunch them, I’ll have to go into my Terminal Utility file and delete the blocks. Now that I know that, launching a website built within LocalWP will be much less painful.

One other issue I resolved was the maximum upload file size that I was allowed to upload using All-in-One WP Migration. I think the maximum size was 300MB. The site I just launched was 615MB. I considered buying the AIO Unlimited Extension for $69 plus a monthly subscription. My host doesn’t allow changes, even temporary ones, to increase the maximum upload file size as I am on a shared hosting server. I thought I would be able to go into my .htaccess folder to increase the size but that is not allowed. I discovered I could upload the 615MB website using my host’s File Manager which didn’t cost me anything extra.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.