Connect to Cloudways

+1 for cloudways integration. Obviously I’m sure WPEngine would drag their feet on this. Suggesting WP Migrate (Another WPEngine product) is not an alternative!

1 Like

Hi @gosixl and other Cloudways users :slight_smile:

Technically we do have an open add-on concept, so any host could build a connect add-on if they desired. We don’t have any documentation specific to building a Connect add-on, so development could be tricky and require a lot of back and forth and troubleshooting. To date, no other hosts have ever contacted us about building something like this out. Many popular WordPress hosts out there instead have tried to come up with or improve their own alternatives for local development.

While we do believe and plan on keeping Local free to use for the entire WordPress community, we are a product owned by the WP Engine family. So ultimately assisting with the development of Local Connect add-ons to other hosts will never be a priority.

While we do suggest other products within our family like WP Migrate, you’re also free to use other migration plugins and methods for getting your sites from Local to your host. Or even just simply exporting your site and manually moving the files.

3 Likes

Hey @gosixl - I appreciate the feedback!

Can I ask you to expand on this:

Suggesting WP Migrate (Another WPEngine product) is not an alternative!

Why is that? Is it just the cost of the plugin?

I’m not making any promises or speaking to future roadmap items - speaking in hypotheticals. But if Local allowed users to push to another host, powered by WP Migrate, for free, is that a valid alternative?

I’m just trying to understand if the cost is the issue or there are actual problems with the workflow.

2 Likes