DropBox Sync

Issue Summary

I changed my site’s root directory which points to my dropBox directory on my local drive. These are local files which get synched between 2 computers. Since I switch back-and-forth between these computers, all of my DropBox files are always synched up on both machines rapidly and always available.

Troubleshooting Questions

Can I open LOCAL on my other computer and work from these files? (it doesn’t appear that I can do this) Or do I need to keep using the DropBox sync feature and work from backups? Working from backups is a bit of a convoluted and frustrating workflow, since the files are always going into the cloud due my root directory, which is automatically backed up through DropBox.

System Details

MAC OS 12.6

Hi @celli

The short answer is that at this time, using the Cloud Backups feature will probably be the easiest method to work on the same sites using two machines. That way you can keep them backed up and fresh so you’re always pulling down the latest instance on the other machine. We are exploring ways to make collaboration between users and machines easier, but for now, it will require a bit of that manual workflow.

Thanks Nick-B. Appreciate the response. One main issue is that the backups don’t seem to be working. I can back-up a local site on one machine (in less than a minute), but then when I try and pull it down onto my other machine, after about 20 minutes or so I decide to quit and try and restart the process because it doesn’t make sense that it would take that long.

The site I am working with is quite small as well as the DB. I was able to pull it down one time successfully, and it took less than a minute, so I know there is something wrong—but I can’t figure out what it is. I wonder if because I quit the process so many times, I need to uninstall LOCAL on my other machine and start over. Or is there another way to clear the app? or do you know why this might be happening?

Hi @celli

I’m assuming you don’t have any other developer applications or major programs running while you’re trying to get the backup down? Or is there anything you could close to ensure it’s not trying to share resources?

If you want to try and go through the steps of doing a full refresh, here is what I’d recommend:

• Export any sites that you have on Local and save them to a folder somewhere on your computer.

• Fully uninstall Local from your computer.

• Install the latest version of Local on this link.

• Once installed, please restart the computer.

• When the computer is restarted and turned on, close any applications that automatically run in the background (AntiVirus, Firewall, and other Developer applications included).

• Check and see if the issue still persists.

I fully uninstalled LOCAL and then re-installed from the latest releases link. I was still getting the same issue of the site not resolving from ‘provisioning’ so I simultaneously added a new site (blank wordpress site) and then the other site kicked in once I was prompted to enter my password for my local drive. When the site was pulled in a saw an error at the top of LOCAL, which disappeared when I clicked into the site which said something about my HOST not matching… not sure if you’re able to troubleshoot from here, but I’ll try another backup and restore on the other machine again soon.

Hi @celli

Local will give you prompts for a password so it can update your Hosts file, maybe there is something causing a problem there. Can you share your Local Log? Retrieving Local’s Log File

Hi Nick, Sure here is a link tot he logs: logs 03252023

Hi @celli

The most recent repeating error looks like this:

{"thread":"main","level":"error","stack":"Error: Access denied.\n    at TLSSocket.<anonymous> (%%appPath%%/node_modules/@getflywheel/localtunnel/lib/TunnelConnectionCluster.js:59:28)\n    at Object.onceWrapper (node:events:642:26)\n    at TLSSocket.emit (node:events:539:35)\n    at TLSSocket.emit (node:domain:475:12)\n    at addChunk (node:internal/streams/readable:315:12)\n    at readableAddChunk (node:internal/streams/readable:289:9)\n    at Readable.push (node:internal/streams/readable:228:10)\n    at TLSWrap.onStreamRead (node:internal/stream_base_commons:190:23)","message":"Access denied.","timestamp":"2023-03-24T23:42:21.769Z"}

Usually, when we see something like that it’s due to things like antivirus, security, or firewall applications that could be blocking Local. Sometimes simultaneously running developer apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker for example can cause conflicts as well.

Could it be BrowserStack? I thought of that–but the last time I tried I made sure it was not running, and I restarted after shutting it down and then made absolute sure it was not running.

I do not have antivirus, or a firewall – except for the standard MAC firewall, should I turn that off ?

Typically the MAC firewall will ask if I want to ‘allow’ but LOCAL doesn’t do that when I am creating a site from a BACKUP. When I create a new site from scratch, it does ask permission… which might have been the reason it suddenly started to pull the other site in after I entered my computer passcode allowing the blank site to be created. Shouldn’t the ‘create from cloud backup’ option initialize that security setting option?

Hi @celli

Sorry for the delay but I wanted to check back here and see if you’re still running into issues with this! Let us know if you are or if you found a solution or workaround.

Hi Nick, I created a new instance (of wordpress core, theme(s) and json files) and then made some more backups since then and I was able to get it working. I am still unsure of what the issue was, but the new instance seemed to remove whatever was causing the issue.

Okay @celli glad to hear things started working for you at least!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.