Export: error when compressing site

Howdy!

I’ve been enjoying the benefits of local for helping a friend of a friend with a WP Engine site that needs some radical surgery to remove a builder plugin. I’ve run into some frustrations with WooCommerce and am working with a tech to isolate some issues. One of them is related to positioning of plugin output and there is general advice to remove all plugins to isolate the issue.

Since I am busy with other things I thought I’d create a second copy of the site for debugging purposes. First I tried to use the Export feature but that produced an error notification and then hung saying it was trying to copy some ridiculous number of files, most likely from plugins. I then tried the Clone feature and that just hangs. So I’m stuck.

What issue or error are you experiencing?

When trying to export a site a notification saying “error when compressing site” appears. When trying to clone a site it is stuck on “Copying site files…”

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

Choose a site and from the context menu choose either “Clone site” or “Export”

System Details

• Local Version:
    Version 7.2.1+6433
  • Operating System (OS) and OS version:
    Windows 10

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)
local-lightning-verbose.log (262.7 KB)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @clubside

Since you mentioned “a ridiculous number of files”, do you know how large this site is overall and how large the database is?

You might try using WP Migrate Lite which is a free plugin that has a full site export option. It might help you to export the site otherwise you may need to do things manually to extract copies of the site files and database.

Hey @Nick-B

Thanks so much for replying. The number of files is around 30k, the vast majority of them being from plugins. Looking at live sites I run that’s a pretty small amount. And Local had no issues setting up the site through the WP Engine connection.

When you’re trying to export the site do you have any other sites running in your Local app?

Are you running any other dev programs on your machine simultaneously?

To rule out any performance conflicts you could check off some of the items in our guide here:

If you wanted to just copy the site files to reimport them as a “clone” you could also do this manually as well by just clicking Go to Site Folder in your Local app and accessing the files directly. We have some steps on the document below that illustrate how a “restore” would look going this route:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.