Generally laggy...What am I doing wrong?

I’ve cleaned up my computer as much as possible and optimized it for speed, limited all the background programs, and followed all the tips I could find online to optimize virtualbox; I’ve tried playing around with custom settings, and disabling xdebuger, but still I’m finding that my sites (which are actually pretty small) are particularly laggy in local. I even exported and uploaded one of my sites to my cheap server and tested it, and it seems to be running much faster there than on local… All the videos I’ve seen online make it look super snappy. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Mitch,

Sorry for the slowdown!

Are you on macOS or Windows? Also, is Faster Docker Volumes enabled under Preferences » Advanced?

I’m on Windows 10, and I do have faster docker volumes enabled.

In that case, I’d recommend installing the Query Monitor plugin on the site(s) that are slow. This should help diagnose whether it’s a database issue, remote request, or something else causing the site to load slowly.

Ooh, wait… Maybe I didn’t have it turned on? I thought I did, but I just double checked…Maybe I didn’t hit “apply”…
I was testing that before, but let me try this again.

I made sure that faster dock volumes is on and restarted the site, but that doesn’t seem to affected the speed at all… I installed Query Monitor Plugin and the only notification it gave was “Extended query information such as the component and affected rows is not available. Query Monitor was unable to symlink its db.php file into place. See this wiki page for more information.”… Is that relevant at all? Most of this diagnostic information is greek to me.

Hi @Mitch,

One quick check: is it still showing “Faster Docker Volumes” as enabled in Settings » Advanced?

I just want to make sure it didn’t automatically fallback to VirtualBox shared folders (which are slower).

@clay Yes, it’s definitely turned on. I made a little screencast to show you what I’m seeing;

@clay Any ideas?

@clay I just had a thought… I have two accounts on my computer; One for the work I do within a marketing company, and one for the freelance work I do (I have it set up this way so I can have two separate google drive accounts synced with folders on my computer). I installed a separate version of local in each of these accounts, so I can keep websites built for the marketing company and my own separate… Do you think this could somehow be causing the speed issues?

Well, I uninstalled local on my other account. It didn’t help…
If it provides any clue at all, there’s a 502 gateway error showing up for the first minute or two after I restart any site…

Hey Mitch,

Thanks for the video!

My only suggestion right now is to try the 2.2.0 pre-release. It changes how Faster Docker Volumes works on Windows.

Also, does your computer have a hard drive or SSD?

@clay I already tried the 2.2.0 pre-release and it didn’t seem to make a difference. I have a surface pro 3, so I’m pretty sure it uses an SSD…

@clay Is it possible that it’s just that my computer doesn’t have the processing power that my server does?

@clay It seems that there’s some kind of connection happening even if it’s supposed to be managed locally. I was on the train where I didn’t have WiFI, and the dashboard for my sites would open, but when I tried to create a post the whole thing would just act like it was taking forever to load and then just stop entirely.

Hey Mitch,

You may be on to the right idea.

https://github.com/norcross/airplane-mode may be a decent way to test this. If you install and activate this plugin it’ll disable outbound requests for your Local site.

I tried this plugin, and it says “Airplane move is enabled. There were 0 HTTP requests.”.
This doesn’t seem to have resolved my speed issues…
Could this be related to the fact that my sites use beaver builder?