Import Site Backup From Runcloud

Hi, i have question. I downloaded a site backup file from Runcloud hosting panel. It comes with 2 seperate file folders called Database and Webapp. The webapp folder contains the wp-admin,wp-content and wp-includes plus the wordpress default stuff. How do i transfer these files to local?

Hi @Scarly

In order for Local to directly import a zip file all it really needs is a WP Content and SQL bundled together. If you’re getting errors or having trouble with your zip you can do a more manual migration with the steps outlined here:

Manually Import a Local Site

1 Like

Hi, Nick thanks for getting back to me! I have further questions. I did do some of the manual stuff but i am stuck with the other requests it’s saying. Below is what i is done and what i need help with.

• Unzip the file in a common location, like the desktop. :white_check_mark:
  • Create a new, blank site in Local. Use whatever username/password you like since you’ll be overwriting the Database. :white_check_mark:
  • The wp-content folder that is created with the new blank site you can rename wp-content-old or just delete it. Copy the wp-content folder from your backup to the newly created site’s location to take its place. :white_check_mark:
  • Copy the correct SQL file to the site root (App>Public).

What does it mean to copy the “correct SQL file” to the site root? I am not sure where to find this in my backup files. Not seeing any file name with .sql
I only see the .sql from the local site i created.

You mentioned that your Runcloud site files included a database file, which should be your SQL or have your SQL within it. That is what you would place within the site root located at App>Public.

Do you see a SQL within what they provided there?

Oh yes! I just saw it has .sql on them. there are multiple files. Is the screenshot below correct?
I put the database files in app > Public.

Hi @Scarly

It looks like all of your DB tables each have their own file. Do you still have access to the site on Runcloud? What might be easier is using a free plugin like WP Migrate Lite to export the DB as a single SQL file. Then you can put that in the root of your Local site and import it using the last couple steps from the help article. Or better yet, you can just use that plugin to create a Full Site Export into a zip file, then you can just drag and drop that into Local to import the whole thing at once and skip all the manual work.

Oh dang wish I had known before the old site I extracted the backup from was deleted. :sob:
Do you know any sites or programs that can help group my multiple .sql files into one?

Hi @Scarly

That’s okay! You’ll still be able to get things going it’s just going to take a little bit more work. Honestly, I think your best bet will be to just import these DB tables one at a time into the DB of the site you created.

Within Local, you’ll want to Start your site, and then you can click on Database, Open Adminer, and within there click on Import to get started. There are other ways to do this as well via SSH but I think this might be the easiest.

Hey Nick thanks for getting back to me, i was able to do this but i did receive or alot of query error, some said exacutable and others came with some errors; however, i kept going but then when i went to my “wp admin” site none of the pages, posts, users, comments or media is even showing up. Am i missing something?

Also none of my custom post types are showing either lol…

It’s tough to advise from our end on this without being able to see more but this is likely going to take a lot of development work to get going one way or another.

Even before importing your DB files you weren’t able to see anything from your WP Content directory like your uploads/media etc?

Ya in my wp-content everything is there including the media files.

Hi @Scarly

Circling back here! Have you had any progress on getting things going yet or are you still in the same spot?

Feel free to update us and we’ll do our best to assist.

Hey, Nick no I still wasn’t able to get it to function properly, but I was able to eventually combine the .SQL files into one.

I did try the first way to “Import from Zip File”, but even with my SQL file and wp-content folder, the upload had issues. It kept giving an error saying “Incompatible ZIP file” which is weird because the file type I have is a normal ZIP archive.

I also tried the “Manual Import” way, but it didn’t work either, got some other error on the shell with some issue with SQL file ( Image below)

So then because that didn’t work I tried to manually upload the .SQL file into the AdminerEvo from a new created site and that worked; however, still none of the pages, users, comments, posts, media, custom post types and other stuff still was not showing on WordPress.

The Wp-content folder has all the images and stuff so not sure why the media isn’t showing or anything else, is there a step i am missing?

Hi @Scarly

The manual import error makes me think maybe something else on your machine is conflicting there. Do you have any other developer applications running? Security applications?

I have TotalAV antivirus running always in the background, could that be it? What applications would effect that?

That could be one culprit. Are you able to check if it makes any blocks to Local or if Local can be allowed within its settings?

Are you running other developer applications simultaneously? That could also cause similar issues. Apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker for example.

Hey Nick, unfortunately, it still didn’t work. I tried disabling my Antivirus, and for Windows security, I created an inbound rule to open port (3306) but seems that didn’t change anything.

And no I have no other programs running in the background or have those programs you mentioned.

Thanks for the update, @Scarly. Please could you try the approach below that uses Local’s automated importer? It avoids having to import files and the database into Local separately, which might be easier.

1. Create a new folder on your desktop called ‘mysite’.

2. Open the mysite folder.

3. Create a new folder in ‘mysite’ called ‘app’.

4. Open the app folder.

5. Create two folders in ‘app’:
    i. One called ‘public’.
    ii. Another called ‘sql’.

6. Put the single combined SQL file you made (for example, backup.sql) in the ‘sql’ folder. Or put the individual SQL files in that folder (but not both the combined files and the individual files).

7. Put your WordPress site files in the ‘public’ folder. :warning: Your wp-content and other folders should appear immediately inside the public folder. There should be no other folders in between. :warning:

8. Click through your folders and check that what you have looks something like this:

mysite
    └── app
        ├── public
        │   ├── index.php
        │   ├── license.txt
        │   ├── readme.html
        │   ├── wp-activate.php
        │   ├── wp-admin
        │   ├── [lots of other WordPress files here]
        └── sql
            └── backup.sql

9. Right-click the ‘mysite’ folder on your desktop, choose ‘Compress site to ZIP file’, and give that zip file a name when it’s finished compressing your files.

10. Open Local.

11. Drag the zip file over Local. When you drop it in Local, it should prompt you to import the site. Give your site a name and follow the rest of the import process.

I was able to download the two site backup files from my RunCloud account and import them into Local as described above. (Mine was a full site backup from RunCloud, but it sounds like yours was an incremental backup as you have multiple SQL files. It should work the same, though.)

2 Likes

Hey @nickc it almost worked! It was downloading the files and preparing the database then all a sudden it hit me with an error “try again with compatible file”. I attached screenshot below for reference.

Not sure what folder i could be messing up or why its giving that error its normal compressed zip folder.

Thanks for trying this, @Scarly, that seems close!

If you’re comfortable sharing the zip file, could you upload it somewhere (perhaps to Dropbox or similar) and share the link with me via a direct message? (Click my profile image, then click “Message”.) I’d be interested to learn what’s causing the import failure.

If you’d prefer not to share the zip file, sharing your Local Logs here instead might point to the issue.