Live Link started returning a 404 page after working fine. Tried on multiple browsers. How to fix?

Issue Summary

Live Link started returning a 404 page after working fine. Tried on multiple browsers.

Here is the Link: gifted-meadow.localsite.io

Troubleshooting Questions

How to fix?

This is on a wordpress site I created in LocalWP and just broke today. I

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?
    the latest 6.6.1+6281

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

• For example: macOS Catalina or Windows 10 Professional
      Latest MacOS - no change since it went from working to not working
  • Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

Security Reminder

local-logs.zip (13.1 KB)

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however thereā€™s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isnā€™t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @IdeaToGrowth

To confirm the Live Link is throwing a 404 while your Local App is up and running and the site has been Started?

Hi All,

I rebooted my Mac and the 404 Live Link issue went away.

I donā€™t want to have to restart my Mac if this happens again.

What is the root cause/debug procedure for correcting 404 on the Live Link?

I see this issue has come up in the past.

Reinstalling the LocalWP software to fix a 404 issue or restarting oneā€™s computer is not an acceptable fix.

How about a LocalWP restart button on the app if you know what causes this?

The product is impressive but I just started using it this week and I donā€™t know if this is going to be a repeating bug.

Thanks!

Hi @IdeaToGrowth

If youā€™re running into this issue in the future, this thread might be helpful in troubleshooting:

If itā€™s still a problem feel free to follow up with some screenshots and your Local Log - Retrieving Localā€™s Log File

1 Like

Hi Nick,

I read nothing on the website about the live links site tunnels closing down automatically. Is this from experience or is it documented somewhere? If the live link tunnels are being closed by the app, then why does the app show the link is still ā€œONā€? If the app is closing down the tunnel, it needs to turn off the button in the app that shows that the live link is still on, and not doing so is clearly a bug/oversight to users.

What is the correct process to 're-enable the site tunnel?" Do I turn off the live link, count to 10, then turn it on again? Iā€™m not trying to be overly critical with this, but I understand connections being timed out, but the app should reflect that the tunnel is 'off/broken". Can this ā€˜fixā€™ be made to the app to eliminate this bug/issue?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @IdeaToGrowth

We donā€™t have any official documentation that drills down into these details, so thatā€™s a great call out! Iā€™ll make some notes to discuss this with our documentation team.

Live Links is not meant to be a permanent working URL but more of a quick and easy way to share a snapshot of the site with a client or a peer. Thatā€™s why the Live Link will only work while your Local App is up and running, the site is Started, and Live Links is enabled. Once anything is closed down that connection is severed. As mentioned by Ben in that thread I linked to, even if you leave everything up, that tunnel will only have a life of about 24 hours.

Other things can factor into this working normally as well such as network speed, VPNs, security, antivirus, firewalls, etc

1 Like

Hi Nick,

Super response time! Kudos!

I still stand by my strong suggestion that if the tunnel is closed by the app, or even goes down, changing the state of the Live Link Enable is the beat process.

If the app disables the tunnel, itā€™s trivial to have the state of the Live Link Enable button be changed at the sane time.

If the tunnel is closed by the app being turned off, the Live Link button should be OFF by default, and perhaps it is but I havenā€™t checked.

If the tunnel breaks for any reason, a simple crontab job could check the tunnel every 5-15min and if the tunnel is down, change the state of the Live Link button to OFF.

I know this may seem like overkill but this entire thread would have never happened if the button had this functionality.

The Live Link button was the first thing I checked and it was showing ENABLED, so I wasted time looking for other issues.

Even if there were simple text next to the button stating ā€œLive link not working? Turn off, count to 5, then turn back on.ā€, I would have fixed the broken tunnel issue and never contacted Support.

Iā€™m really big on eliminating support calls for any reason as it adds costs to a business and ultimately to what a customer pays, as well as causes a great product to not shine as much as possible. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve made these suggestions.

Anyway, its in your court. Iā€™ve made my case.

Thanks!

Ken

1 Like

Iā€™ve raised this to our Local dev and product team to explore options for improving this feature in the app. Thank you for your detailed feedback which gave us lots to consider about where to go with enhancements!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.