Local 6.0 is so bad I'm going back to 5.10

I was very excited when Local Pro for All was announced and upgraded immediately. But after a couple weeks on it I’m going back to 5.10.

The Pro features are cool, but overall 6.0 has been very slow and buggy. 5.10 was smooth as butter and basically never gave me problems. But in 6.0 even switching from one site to another in the UI takes several seconds (instant in 5.10). MagicSync is a brilliant idea but sometimes it simply doesn’t push all changes, no matter what settings are used. And now I can’t push, pull, or even view host connections to try to reconnect.

Has anyone else on here had this experience? Three people on my team use Local and we’ve all had issues, in both macOS and Windows.

Local was truly delightful before, but it feels like it’s taken a turn for the worse. And now that it’s totally free I fear it’ll only get worse. I would gladly give up pro features or pay a fee in order to ensure solid performance.

I’m not seeing any differences in the UI responsiveness with 6.0.

Have you tried reinstalling?

Thanks for the suggestion Scott. Reinstalled just now and looks like there may have been a slight improvement but still noticeably slower than 5.10. I think I’ll just wait until the next release to see if it improves.

Hey @diegovogel

Thanks for writing in and I’m sorry that things were slow for you!

• What Operating System and OS version is being used?
  • Can you please provide your Local Log? See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:
  • Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one, or was this within the Local UI?

If you can, I’d love to see a screencast of the slowness so we can zero in on where things are slow.

Hey @ben.turner,

I’m running macOS Big Sur 11.4. Here are my machine’s specs.
Here’s my Local Log: local-lightning.log (542.3 KB)
And here’s a screen recording showing lag when switching between sites in Local 6.1. Prior to v6.0 this was instantaneous.

Hey @diegovogel - Thanks for all that additional info and screencast!

There’s a lot of things that changed in terms of functionality as well as flexibility of the underlying codebase between Local 5.x and 6.x.

With that big batch of refactoring and tech-debt paydown, the team is turning to focus on performance related issues like what you are experiencing and have shared.

For what it’s worth, I also experience the same ~1s delay in the Local UI when switching between sites. It’s definitely not ideal and the team does have this on their radar for improvement. I don’t have an exact ETA for when a fix will be released, but maybe the silver lining is we are (or at least I am) only switching between sites infrequently.

I know it’s probably not the answer you want to hear, but we’re working on it are making improvements all the time!

1 Like

Thanks Ben. Good to know performance is being worked on. The bigger issue in my original post was with MagicSync. Sometimes it would not push changes, no matter what settings we tried. There were no errors, it would simply complete the push without updating anything on the live site. Everyone on my team (3 of us) experienced this at some point in the span of a couple weeks. Maybe we didn’t have a good understanding of what MagicSync is supposed to do. We ended up turning it off, so I don’t think I’ll be able to help debug. If we turn it on again in the future and it’s an issue again I’ll post in the forum again.

Were you using Connect with Flywheel or WP Engine? Or both?

Connect is another area where we’re improving the core experience with better test coverage as well as looking deeper into edge-case issues.

We use WP Engine. Thanks for the info. Good to hear it’s being improved.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.