Local Flywheel starts but doesn't open the window on the screen

I have been using Local by Flywheel for about one month and I love it, haven’t had any issues until this morning.
Today I opened the Local Flywheel like always, by clicking on the icon on desktop and the icon appears in the taskbar but doesn’t show up the window automatically and nether I can open or close the window by clicking on the icon in the taskbar. And when the mouse is hover over the icon I can see the window.
I’m not using two screens and I already tried the SHIFT + right mouse button and that doesn’t work.
Can someone please help me?
Thank you

Hey @alexandra

That’s odd, and sounds like maybe the window somehow was placed off of the screen. Are you running Windows or Mac?

For Windows, I found this post that looks promising about bringing off-screen windows back to the main screen.

For a Mac – this post https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-move-an-os-x-window-thats-stuck-off-screen/ describes changing the display resolution temporarily and then changing it back so that the windows are automatically rearranged.

If you have any other questions, just let me know!

– Ben

Hello Ben,

Thanks for the help but you forgot to copy the link for Windows.

@alexandra,

Here are some articles for Windows :slight_smile:

Thank you very much Clay! Hope it works!

Whooops! Sorry about that – yep the second link from Clay was the one I meant to post!

Good Luck!

I follow the setps in both articles but didn’t work :disappointed:
I really don’t know what to do… I need to migrate what I’ve done to the real host :disappointed:

@alexandra,

So sorry for the trouble!

Can you please try the following?

1. Close Local if it’s running

2. Open Command Prompt (you can open it by opening the Start menu and searching for Cmd)

3. Enter and run the following command to delete the saved window state of Local:

del "%AppData%\Local\window-state.json"

If using Local Classic, the command will be…

del "%AppData%\Local by Flywheel\window-state.json"

4. Re-open Local

3 Likes

It works, finally!! Thank you very much!!

1 Like

it worked to me too thanks

1 Like

Hi, I’m having the same issue with Local now but when I try to run that command, it doesn’t work for me:

A Windows error message appears and says: “This file has not any application associated”

Hi Clay,

When i enter and run the command - del “%AppData%\Local by Flywheel\window-state.json” i get back…The system cannot find the file specified.

I checked the path and i don’t see the .json file.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I have tried this trick, but it didn’t work. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/bring-misplaced-off-screen-windows-back-to-your-desktop-keyboard-trick/

FINAL UPDATE: @clay this worked for, thank you. I searched and ran Run and entered %AppData%\Local by Flywheel\ it opened in Roaming and the the .json file was in there, deleted it and then opened Local…voila!

Regards,
Lisa.

1 Like

I am having the same issue and have tried all of the possible fixes listed.

UPDATE: I did what Lisa ^^^ did and SUCCESS! It is a great day!

1 Like

I didn’t have Local by Flywheel in %AppData% but I found it by the commandline (Local Lightning?).

dir %AppData%
dir %AppData%/Local

I saw that there was window-state.json in the Local folder.

del %AppData%/Local/window-state.json

Restarted Local. Now it works again.

1 Like

I am SOOOOOOO glad I found this. As someone who uses a laptop that gets docked/undocked frequently to a 3+ monitor setup, this has been driving me bonkers for quite a while. Sure would be nice if they added a link to their right-click menu that would allow you to move the app back to on screen. Another thing that is quite surprising is that it doesn’t just move itself back to the only screen when you disconnect all monitors. Is this a downfall or bug of Electron (which is what I am assuming Local is built in)?

Thank you Clay

Thanks for your help Clay.
I entered the cmd exactly as you stated
del “%AppData%\Local by Flywheel\window-state.json”
but the computer stated: The system cannot find the file specified.
Local by Flywheel|690x387

For the 2nd option you mentioned, about updating to latest version, should I uninstall Local and then download the latest release or just download it, without uninstalling Local first ? If so will I loose my file on Local ? Thank you, Paul

Sorry about that, it looks like my first post was an old one still referring to Local Classic (Local by Flywheel).

Here’s the updated command for Local:

del "%AppData%\Local\window-state.json"

No need to uninstall first! Uninstalling poses a risk of deleting existing site data/databases.

Simply re-running the installer should work.

1 Like

Thanks very much Clay for your fast response. The Cmd prompt worked and I can open Local again. :smile: Hope the rest of the day, is nice for you. Cheers Paul

1 Like