Local running so so so very slowwwwwwwwww on Mac

I know there has been a lot of posts about Local running slow on Macs. I have been through a ton and still can not get mine to run at faster.
I have setup only 1 site with 4 or 5 plugins. It takes up to a minute to load a page in admin. Its driving me crazy as this should be a fix. Some topics say to increase the amount of ram for php but I. just can not find the file to edit to try.

System should be more than capable of running this and much more at the same time.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular? - Happens to all sites

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser? - Yes

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used? - 6.4.1+5978

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

My Mac specs are
macOS Monterey - 12.4
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch. 2020
3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
64GB 2667 Mhz DDR4 Ram
Apple SD Hard drive
AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB Graphics card

local-logs.zip (5.3 KB)

Thanks again I know this has been covered a ton of times but nothing has helped me. Please help as I just can’t do any work as its sooooooooooo slooooowww

Cheers
Efraim

Hi there! We have a newer help article here with some troubleshooting steps to help pinpoint and address slowness: Troubleshooting Performance issues in Local - Local

Keep us posted if something in there helps or if you still have lingering issues!

I had the same problem, it was a nightmare for days.

It was actually a quick fix!

Comment out as such in /conf/php/php.ini.hbs:

((!--
xdebug.mode=debug
xdebug.client_port="9000"
xdebug.start_with_request=yes
xdebug.discover_client_host=yes
--))
2 Likes

Thanks @harryf! That does often do the trick for users and gets a mention at the bottom of the help article I linked above if anyone needs more details.

1 Like

I had the same issue again, I had to comment out more of the block:—

[xdebug]
{{#if os.windows}}
zend_extension = php_xdebug.dll
{{else}}
zend_extension = {{extensionsDir}}/xdebug.so
{{/if}}

xdebug.mode=debug
xdebug.client_port="9000"
xdebug.start_with_request=yes
xdebug.discover_client_host=yes
--))```
1 Like

I experienced catastrophic slowdowns running Local on macOS 12.4 [Monterey] on arm64.

Site Health noted:
The REST API request failed due to an error.
Error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (http_request_failed)

The instant I deactivated the free (and heretofore excellent) Wordfence Security plugin the problem disappeared. I will report later if I can get the plugin to resume working normally. This fixed MY problem with extreme slowness; hope it helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.