Local stopped loading, now stuck on "checking system"

Local has been running fine for a while for me. Over the last couple days, it’s been stuck on “starting local machine”.

I uninstalled VM, I uninstalled Local.

Running a freshly downloaded Local, it’s stuck on “checking system”. The last entry in the log shows an error:
Sep 20, 2018, 1:21 PM EDT - error: [main/index] TypeError: Cannot read property ‘forEach’ of null
at exports.(anonymous function) (/Applications/Local by Flywheel.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/helpers/process-exports-vars.js:1:737)
at _child_process2.(anonymous function).(anonymous function) (/Applications/Local by Flywheel.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main/actions-docker/set-docker-env.js:1:3305)
at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:294:5)
at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:925:16)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:209:5)

Sorry to hear about that. Please try the following steps and let us know if it resolves the problem:

Thanks. The VM wasn’t running, and wouldn’t start. I tried restarting my mac, as well, so I knew it wasn’t running. It continues to not start.

I just experienced this. It happened after quitting and starting Local back up again. In my instance, the machine in VirtualBox was not running in the first place, so there was nothing to shut down.

So, I quit Local again and re-opened it, and it started right up.

Unsure what was gummed up or why, but I think it must be possible to close and open Local in such a way that it’s awareness of whether the machine is running (or available to boot) just isn’t correct, and it isn’t rechecking - probably to avoid recursion. Totally a guess though.

I got it working again. Today, Local offered an updated. I don’t know if it’s related. I installed that.

I uninstalled VirtualBox, downloaded it fresh, and it would not install. The issue was Mac OS blocking it. I found this SO thread with instructions:

Once VirtualBox was running again, Local would run.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.