Localhost download takes "FOREVER" in the "Changing Site Domain..." step

Issue Summary

I’m trying to copy back to my dev machine (multiple times after screwing up the database) and it is taking “FOREVER” at the “Changing Site Domain…” step. Sometimes it takes over an hour.

And backup and restore just doesn’t work (I get an error trying to export the entire local db and if I just export the tables, I get an error on import and no data is imported)…

Troubleshooting Questions

I only have one site.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    Yes. and I can open my full site in a browser. Question relates to downloading the site again (or backup/restore of database data).

Replication

Make a change to the db that messes things up, then re-download (sync?) the site from the WPEngine site.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?

• Don’t know. Just downloaded it last week.
  • What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

• Windows NT Server 2016 Datacenter
  • Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @Owen37 - welcome to the Local community :wave:

Is the site or database particularly large?

Sam

Yes, it is pretty large. I really only need to back up and restore wp_posts and wp_postmeta (and have the IDs remain the same).

Just finished redownloading the site from WPEngine. Took about an hour. The longest section was the “Changing Site Doman…”

Hi there @Owen37 -

I suspect the large size of the database could be causing the slowness.

If you’re curious to know for sure, you could simulate what Local is doing by running this WP-CLI command (after making a backup of your site):

wp search-replace 'http://<originaldomain>.com' 'http://<localdomain>.local'

If you are using Local Connect often and the speed is impacting your workflow, I would recommend checking out this article and consider reducing the size of your database if possible:

Let me know if that helps!

Sam

Unfortunately, what I’m working on needs the full database for users and posts. I’ve come up with a way (finally) to back up the database locally (or at least the tables I’m working with) and then restoring later. Only takes a few minutes for the whole process.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Owen37 -

I’m glad you found a solution that works for you.

Do you have more questions or shall I close out this ticket?

Thanks for using Local!

Sam

You can close the ticket.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.