Loop - "Restarting NFS Server"

On the quest for local speed, moving sites from a rotating hard drive to an SSD made a considerable improvement. Next, try that experimental “Faster Docker Volumes” option.

After receiving the message that Local has applied the setting, I see a continuous stream of alert messages saying “Faster Docker Volumes Restarting NFS Server.” They appear continuously at the rate of about 1 per second.

Local is 2.3.1
OS is Windows 10 version 1803
VM VirtualBox is 5.2.4

FWIW: The tail of Local’s log appears to have a repeating sequence like this:

(C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\main\actions-docker\docker-machine-fdv.js:1:26497)
    at emitTwo (events.js:125:13)
    at Monitor.emit (events.js:213:7)
    at ChildProcess. (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\node_modules\respawn\index.js:171:12)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:213:7)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:200:12)
Jul 2, 2018, 6:54 AM EDT - info: [main/index] Warning: MaxListenersExceededWarning: Possible EventEmitter memory leak detected. 101 display-notification-onerror listeners added. Use emitter.setMaxListeners() to increase limit
    at _addListener (events.js:281:19)
    at EventEmitter.addListener (events.js:298:10)
    at Notification (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\node_modules\electron-native-notification\index.js:74:13)
    at new Notification (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\helpers\Notification.js:1:946)
    at Monitor. (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\main\actions-docker\docker-machine-fdv.js:1:26078)
    at Generator.next ()
    at _0x4944f3 (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\main\actions-docker\docker-machine-fdv.js:1:7594)
    at Object.lcMZQ (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\main\actions-docker\docker-machine-fdv.js:1:7248)
    at C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\main\actions-docker\docker-machine-fdv.js:1:7987
    at Promise ()
    at Monitor. (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\main\actions-docker\docker-machine-fdv.js:1:7354)
    at Monitor. (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\main\actions-docker\docker-machine-fdv.js:1:26497)
    at Monitor.emit (events.js:213:7)
    at ChildProcess. (C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\app.asar\node_modules\respawn\index.js:171:12)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:213:7)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:200:12)

THANKS for any advice. Yes, I’m turning that off for now.
P.S. Even after turning it off, the messages continue to appear, but at about half the frequency … and eventually quit.

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the trouble with FDV on Windows!

Please upgrade to Local 2.3.2. There are some fixes to how the Faster Docker Volumes process is handled. Make sure you quit out of Local prior to upgrading.

If the issue persists after re-enabling FDV, make sure your anti-virus and/or internet security isn’t blocking (or deleting and quarantining) Local-Flywheel-WinNFSd.exe.

Thanks Clay.
Not quite there yet…
No need for you to apologize. I don’t think you’re the one messing with Windows. Almost every time Windows updates my system, I end up with some sort of SMB breakage, and suspect that’s the case with this.

I rebooted to ensure Local was shut down, upgraded to 2.3.2 and restarted Local. After ensuring a couple of sites worked, I turned FDV on again. Same symptoms. As you suggest, I’ll look deeper for the AV blocking. I use no external AV tools, only the standard(?) “Windows Defender” stuff.

FWIW, moving sites from a spinning drive to an SSD made enough of a difference that FDV may not be important.

THANKS again!

Any updates on this topic? I am getting the same thing… with version 2.3.4 & 2.3.3
JG

@joseggarza,

Are you running any anti-virus or internet security outside of Windows Defender?

Also, please provide your local-by-flywheel.log file. There may be errors/warnings related to Faster Docker Volumes/NFS there. See How do I retrieve Local's log file? for instructions on how to do so.

Hi Clay,

No, I am not running any antivirus and Windows Defender is disabled

Thanks

local-by-flywheel.log (80.9 KB)

Hi, I’m getting the same issue when Avast antivirus is on :confused:

Hi floriethielin,

I am NOT running any antivirus or antispyware, not even Windows Defender(its off) what version of windows do you have? I am using Windows 10 Pro. I had Windows Home and I had the same issues and I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro( thinking it will fix the issue), but that didn’t solve the problem I still have the same issue. It works beautifully on Mac but I am a Windows User I have all my software on windows.

This is a consistent issue for me, and I’m starting to have to contemplate moving to another local server solution even though I don’t want to. Sites are extremely slow for me within Local, and enabling FDV causes this same loop to happen even if I disable again then re-apply.