Lost access to wp-admin

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I’ve lost the ability to login to the wp-admin dashboard after many months of no problem.
When I click the wp-admin button it only takes me to the front end homepage and I am unable to move around the site (though I can as a logged in user of the site).

Also the One-click admin option does not show any drop-down options - there is only “select admin” but no admin to select.

On reading the router log I notice an error appearing when the problem began that it cannot find the conf/nginx.conf:38 file.

I uninstalled Local then re-installed, but it not made any difference.

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

I’ve attempted to reset the password however the link to reset does not take me to a “change password” screen, instead goes back to the homepage.

Installed latest Local update - no difference.
Uninstalled Local then re-installed - no difference.

Run a full system virus scan - clean.

Hope someone can advise how I might correct this problem.

Thank you.

System Details

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @sirryah

Is this just for a specific site that you’re working on? Or any site you create in Local?

If it’s a specific site, have you tried disabling all of the plugins? Or testing in a different browser?

Thanks for responding.

Yes I could access another site without encountering the problem.

In the end I imported the site from backup which allowed me the opportunity to reset the password.
Not sure what happened, but may have had something to do with a plugin that handles user logins.

1 Like

Glad to hear it @sirryah! Thank you for following up and sharing the fix.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.