My local sites disappeared after an accidental shutdown

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I been facing a problem of continously downloading SQL after every launch of local but recently while downloading sql my power went out and powering the pc on i saw that all of my sites have disappeared
or more like invisible to me now.

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue?

i tried restarting, configuring with it and even uninstalling and reinstalling the local application but no luck.

Here is the SS

System Details

• Local Version:
  • Operating System (OS) and OS version:
    Window 10

Version 22H2

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)
local-lightning.log (290.8 KB)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hello @Ashura -

Sorry you’re running into issues with Local. Local stores your site information (not the site itself) in a file called sites.json

Depending on your OS, this lives at:

Mac/Linux: ~/Library/Application Support/Local/sites.json

Windows: %APPDATA%\Roaming\Local\sites.json

Can you check the path here and see if that file a) exists and b) what the contents are?

Sam

1 Like

Hey @Ashura - Welcome to the Local Community Forums!

I think I was able to replicate how Local looks in your screenshot. What seems to have happened is that a file in Local’s user config folder was corrupted. To fix this, can you try:

1. Quit Local
  2. Delete the corrupted file. This is the same location that Sam mentioned, but a different file (site-groups.json):
Mac/Linux: ~/Library/Application Support/Local/site-groups.json
Windows: %APPDATA%\Roaming\Local\site-groups.json
  1. Start Local

Can you give that a try and see if that fixes things?

2 Likes

Hello @ben.turner and thank you so much for the reply and sorry for my late reply.

Unfortunately, due to a tight deadline i had to load the old backup of the sites i had and moved the local at the roaming folder. The problem was fixed after that but now i’m running into another problem where
my local sites just won’t start with an error which quotes:
“Uh-Oh! unable to start site.”
Can you please help me with with one.

Capture

Here is the S.S of the problem

and the logs:
local-lightning.log (200.5 KB)

Hi @Ashura! Are you able to create a new, blank site and access that?

I was not able to create a new blank site until i installed microsoft runtime software then it started working fine.

For now everything’s back to normal. Thank you @Nick-B , @ben.turner and @sambrockway for turning your attentions to my problem. I highly appreciate it.

If i get any other problems 'll let you know

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.