Old Solution to cUrl 60 error no longer valid in Lightning (MacOS)

A plugin I’m trying to use is getting “cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate” under the covers, and the old solution of opening the site SSH and running “apt-get update && apt-get install ca-certificates” is no longer valid in Lightning, since that’s been replaced with “Open site shell” and MacOS doesn’t have apt-get.

Is there an alternate way to accomplish this nowadays? Brew install ca-certificates didn’t work for me.

Since support around here can be non-existent at times, I’m adding what I did to work around my cUrl 60 error.

I got it working by adding the following to my functions.php:

// ONLY USE THIS WHEN LOCAL
$hostname = $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'];
if (stripos($hostname, "local") || stripos($hostname, "dok")) {
	// development
	add_filter( 'https_ssl_verify', '__return_false' );
}
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I know that you marked a solution as solved, but it seems like it’s more of a workaround than actually getting WordPress to be able to make secure, remote connections.

In troubleshooting this, did you try what’s outlined in this forum topic:

Basically, download a new ca-bundle.crt from the latest version of WordPress and put it in wp-includes/certificates/ca-bundle.crt.

That might help. I’ve also seen issues occasionally when there is some sort of antivirus that will insert its own certificate within the chain, and in the process mangle other CA.

Lastly, if this is a work computer, it’s possible that there’s a custom bundle of CAs that they require and which might be incomplete.

Hope that helps think through other things that might get this working for you without having to resort to an insecure connection!