Site keep crashing and very low loading speed after update

Issue Summary

The local host crashes every 5 minutes.
Today error on the screenshot appears, and the site barely loads.
Also, sites have become extremely slow with the new update.
My IT company marked it as the Highest Security Threat and shut down my internet for 30 minutes after installation of the update.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    only on local sites

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    Yes, the site is opening, so as my work-in-progress sites until it doesn’t…

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?
    6.6.1+6281

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?
    Windows 11 Pro

• Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

local-lightning.log (336.3 KB)

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi, @sosmediacorp Do you have any antivirus, security, or firewall applications that could be blocking Local? More details about troubleshooting this here: Router Mode

My IT company marked it as the Highest Security Threat and shut down my internet for 30 minutes after installation of the update.

Is this your home network or an office network? Is there something in particular that was flagged as a threat?

Hello,

This is my work computer. The IT guys installed the “WithSecure” application.
Does this cause the speed issue and constant disconnection of the server? On the pre-update version, everything was super fast and no connectivity issues.
Everything starts when I updated the Localhost program.
I actually found prev installation file 6.6.0.
will try to install it and see how it will behave

Hi @sosmediacorp

It is entirely possible that security features could throttle things or cause disconnections. It’s curious that the update initiated this. If you have luck downgrading let us know!

I would also reach out to your IT guys and ask them if there are any settings where Local can be “allowed” or if they are able to elaborate on what specifically about Local is getting flagged by the application.

Hello,

The problem does not disappear after downgrading the local version, it just delayed for 10-20 minutes.
Every time when I need to upload a plugin on local site, or update something - the server crashes, and 502 error appears.

Also, i found another annoying feature:
For some reason domain of one of my websites gets redirected to another website I have in local.
I had website A already running, and then started another website B, and suddenly the link of website A get automatically redirected to website B.

Hi @sosmediacorp

You might want to check out our guide here to help with performance issues that could be leading to frequent 50X errors or crashes.

As mentioned earlier, you might also check out this guide for troubleshooting port conflicts, or investigating anything that could be blocking Local. What is Router Mode? - Local

Regarding the redirects - Does this still happen if you open them into an incognito window? Or an alternate browser? Have you tried flushing caches, or checking to see if you have any plugin or theme caches in place?

I will talk to my IT about local being blocked.

Regarding the redirection, it looks like google is playing a mean joke with me as an incognito window loaded site with no problem.
Thank you for the direction.

Question:
Local sites are running slow, it takes 20-30 seconds to load it sometimes.
Will increasing of my machine RAM help with the speed?

@sosmediacorp

Will increasing of my machine RAM help with the speed?

If you’re having issues with working on your machine in general whether or not you’ve got Local running then that may indicate the problem lies elsewhere, and maybe it’s time to upgrade that hardware. Do you find that you have problems with other applications, programs, etc on your machine? Or is it only Local that’s slow? If it’s only Local but everything else is snappy, then there may be something on that Performance document I linked above that can help you get things running a little smoother. It has a lot of great tips and tricks for troubleshooting and addressing performance issues. If you’ve been through all of that and not found any of it to be fruitful, then it could be down to a hardware issue.

Hello,

I removed the security program our IT installed on machines, and things get a bit better with speed, but the crashing issue still exists.

I also tested it on my home computer and local disconnecting every 20 minutes, regardless of the site I am working on, and restarting the program doesn’t help. It still says 502 error and doesn’t want to re-connect for 10-15 minutes.
it is a nightmare. Everything was working smoothly until the 6 version update.
Please look into that.

I would like to follow up.

The local program keeps crashing every 20-25 minutes of work.

Hi there @sosmediacorp -

Have you reviewed this thread?

There are several suggestions you might want to try there.

Sam

Hey Sam, thank you for your reply.

The speed problem is no longer an issue, as at work my IT removed the application that caused the issue, and sites speed are improved.
I also running it on my home computer and speed not a problem.

the default folder for sites is Windows “Documents” folder under my account folder, so it is on C disk.
it is not full, more than 500 GB free to use.
But sites working nice and fast for 2-30 minutes and then suddenly gives me 502 error.
Typically i would restart site from Local, and it would be back, but now this not even helping.
Even restarting Local application all together still gives me error that site can not be reached, and after 7-10 minutes its finally load itself… in 30 min - repeat same thing.
Maybe its my machine. but it is same issue with my work computer at the office.
Can i get you any info that will help you to troubleshoot?

Oh, I also tested to change the domain.local to localhost:0000 format - does the same thing.

@sosmediacorp

You mentioned that speed is no longer an issue. So the ongoing issue is just that sites will eventually 502 and crash after a certain amount of time? It might be that the sites themselves are the culprits. You could try things like disabling plugins, raising resources, deleting or offloading unused sites, offloading media, etc.

Do you find that it’s happening when you’re working on a specific site? Or does it happen no matter what site you’re working on?

It is not a single site, it is any site i am working on, and we talking 10-15 of them.

Do you have multiple sites “Started” at the same time? Or do you only Start whichever one you are working on?

usually one at the time

I shared this document above, but I know you were focused on security concerns so just checking did you have time to run through all of the checks here?

this is the fresh website i just started, and this is errors i am getting.
I did tried increasing the PHP.ini file, helped with the speed, but not 502 error.

as I mention before - speed is not longer issue. It runs pretty fast, I even added ram to my machine, so it is covered.
Most of the time i noticed the 502 appear when I updating plugin, or installing plugin (any plugin, not specific one), but sometimes when i just working on the page.

Hi @sosmediacorp

Since performance is no longer an issue there could be something happening with your network connection.

I see in your console errors things being mentioned like browser-sync and Chrome extensions. Have you tried disabling these? Do you have any other extensions or background applications running that could be interfering?

Also when you’re connecting at work and home are you using a regular WiFi connection? Or are you using a VPN, hotspot or some other type of connection?