Sites not working after latest update to Local 7.0.2 - 502 Request Error - WP version not detected

Issue Summary

Everything was working fine yesterday, but after updating today I get “502 Request Error” on every site. Also, in the local main interface, WordPress version continuously displays the “busy” dots

screen-elsm-s--DEV2-232--local-flywheel--sites-error-502-after-update-01

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?

All sites

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?

Yes, I can create and login. Not sure if it works with SSL / HTTPS though

Replication

Create two websites yesterday with the previous version of Local before today’s update, having implemented the workaround

TO REPRODUCE:

0. Rollback to the previous version of Local

1: Install Local as admin

2: CHANGE LOCAL SITES FOLDER:

• Preferences > New site defaults> point to folder on external drive

3: Create new site: SITETEST_01

• Windows 10 64-bit
  • PHP: 8.1.9
  • Web Server: Apache 2.4.43
  • Database: MySQL 8.0.16

4: REINSTALL WORDPRESS ACCORDING TO @montreal’s workaround here: CANT LOGIN INto WP dashboard - #2 by sheedyaja

• #GOTCHA #SOLVED #WORKAROUND: This is a workaround to get around the “can’t login to wp-admin” known issue and is required for HTTPS to work.

• Right click on the “SITETEST_01” in the Local interface and choose “Go to site folder”

• In explorer, open “sitetest_01\app\public”

• Delete wp-config.php

• Refresh the site in the browser. You will be presented with a WordPress install screen

• Select your language then enter the following database info:

Database Name: local
Username: root
Password: root

• Leave the remaining fields alone and click “Submit”, then “Run the installation”
  • You will see a notice: “Already Installed: You appear to have already installed WordPress. To reinstall please clear your old database tables first.”
  • Now click “Log In”. NOW you should be able to login with your username and password! :slight_smile:

5: ACTIVATE SSL CERTIFICATE

• In the SITETEST_01 interface “SSL” field click on “Trust”
  • NOW change “http” in the browser address bar to “https” and hit enter
  • You will be presented with the login page again, but this time with an HTTPS URL
  • Enter your credentials and login
  • NOW you should be logged back into the WordPress dashboard AND you should notice the PADLOCK icon to the left of the URL in the address bar! :slight_smile:

6: INSTALL PLUGIN: REALLY SIMPLE SSL lite

• You should see the “Almost ready to migrate to SSL!” popup

• As the instructions say “If you’re certain an SSL certificate is present, and refresh SSL status does not work, please check “Override SSL detection” to continue activating SSL.”, do that.

• Click “Override SSL detection”

• Click “Activate SSL” - you may be required to log back in

• You should now see a window indicating with a green checkmark “SSL has been activated”

• Youre RSSSL dashboard panel, in the “Progress” section should say something like:

8% SSL is activated on your site. You still have 7 tasks open.

7: INSTAL PLUGIN: WP FORMS LITE

8: CREATE YOUR FIRST FORM

• Dashboard > Pages > Create a new page called “Contact”. Whoa! - WP forms noticed and provides a helpful message:

"hey, it looks like you’re working on a Contact page.

Did you know that with WPForms, you can create an easy-to-use contact form in a matter of minutes?"

9: INSTALL PLUGIN: WP MAIL SMTP

• I signed up with an SMTP mailer service called Sendinblue that allows 300 emails a day without any credit card
  • Configure WP Mail SMTP to work with Sendinblue or whatever SMTP service you signed up for. You will need your API key

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?

7.0.2+6395

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?
    • For example: macOS Catalina or Windows 10 Professional

Windows 10 64-bit

local-logs.zip attached

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.
local-logs.zip (3.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi @CodeSlayer2010

If you switch to NGINX does it load up?

Hi @Nick-B. Thanks for your suggestion.

Nope, switching to nginx doesn’t help at all.

But, I did some further digging and the best I can tell is when I clicked affirmative to update Local this morning, that it deleted most of my files and folders for the existing sites, as can be seen in this tree size screenshot:

screen-elsm-s--DEV2-232--local-flywheel--sites-error-502-after-update-02

test05 - The new site I created after the update this morning. All the files are there and it opens fine.

elsm-dev - My main site I had done a lot of work on before quitting last night. Basically, the majority of the site seems to have disappeared from my hard drive, except for the sql file in \app\sql.

sitetest3 - Just a test, not important and not needed. elsm-dev is the only one needed.

How can I retrieve my work from before the update?

1 Like

If you’re able to locate the site files you can zip them up and reimport them however into order for Local to accept the zip it will need a wp-content directory and sql together. If you only have one or the other you’d have to create a new site and then manually move over what you have.

For future development you can always use our Cloud Backups tool to save your work.

Cloud Backups

Bummer. I do have Duplicator Pro backups, so I’m not completely dead in the water, but I’m confused about what mechanism of Local would be involved in deleting site folders. Any ideas? Has anyone else reported this or am I a lone wolf here?

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Did you attempt to uninstall/reinstall Local during your troubleshooting? Were there any updates on your machine?

I did everything I could think of to avoid having to uninstall and reinstall. Thats a bit of time and effort involved and yes, sometimes that’s necessary, but destructive options like removing and reinstalling software, formatting hard drives, or resetting preferences should be a last resort.

I only posted to see if there was a simple fix that would avoid my next step which is going to be reinstalling from scratch.

No Windows updates, if that’s what you mean. Just Local and Adobe Cloud

I was just asking about updates or if you had done any reinstalling to try and determine why files may have shifted around.

To resolve some of the other errors you’re seeing, you could try downgrading your Local version first to see if that helps.

Otherwise, you can do a full reset and use your Duplicator backups to recover your sites.

1 Like

Thanks! This is useful information for next time, but hopefully I can just move on with the Duplicator restore. I actually was wondering if there was any way to downgrade – because I didn’t see that option in the UI anywhere – so it’s good to know this is possible.

Thank you again for your help.

I hope that is helpful @CodeSlayer2010! If you have any other questions or concerns don’t hesitate to reach back out. We are always happy to help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.