SSL OPERATION FAILED.... Mac Os Monterey + any 6.3-> version of localwp

Issue Summary

I have a new macbook pro with Mac Os Monterey 12.6. I tried installing the latest localwp and pull our sites from wpengine, but see the usual error of it not being able to trust the ssl. After doing it manually per your guide, I still see a lot of errors on our localwp site (that works well on wpengine / my old mac with localwp 6.31).

We use outside API:s to pull JSON feeds into the page, and the error seems to be related to file_get_contents. The errors I get are:

WARNING: FILE_GET_CONTENTS(): SSL OPERATION FAILED WITH CODE 1. OPENSSL ERROR MESSAGES: ERROR:xxx:SSL ROUTINES:TLS_PROCESS_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:CERTIFICATE VERIFY FAILED IN XXX/XXX/XXX ON LINE 122

WARNING: FILE_GET_CONTENTS(): FAILED TO ENABLE CRYPTO IN XXX/XXX/XXX ON LINE 122

The https works after manually trusting the cert as per your guide, but these doesn’t seem to start working. What should I do?

Hi @popNik! Can you share a copy of your Local Log here? Retrieving Local’s Log File

Hi @Nick-B ! Thank you for getting back to me. Is there a way to send it so that it isn’t public here? I think there is some personal info in the logs (paths with my name) that I wouldn’t want to share publicly here.

Hi @popNik I just sent you a direct message!

Hi @Nick-B,

Perfect, I’ve sent you the logs, hope you find something helpful there!

Hi @popNik - Unfortunately the log wasn’t very telling but we still want to try and dig into this further. We noted another user detailed a similar issue over on this thread that may be related to yours: Multiple SSL issues in v6.4.3 on MacOS - #4 by EliW

Our dev team is going to continue to investigate this and we’ll let you know as soon as there are any updates.

@popNik This does sound awfully familiar. Do you happen to have a ‘m1’ mac? If so my homebrew fix (making folders w/ symlimks) might also fix your problem here.

Hi @EliW thank you for contributing here!! Yes, this indeed is a macbook pro with a M1 Pro chip.

@Nick-B I appreciate you looking into this. If this really is an issue with new M1 macbooks, then I assume you’ll see a lot more of these error reports coming soon… And I’m happy to share the actual API calls generating the error if there’s need for that.

@Nick-B just to manage expectations. Do you think this is something you’ll be able to look at in the coming days, weeks, months? From a developer standpoint this is of course mildly frustrating… :slight_smile:

Hi @popNik - Our dev team is aware of this and actively looking into potential solutions however as to when something will be implemented we aren’t able to give any kind of ETA. As soon as we have any updates however we will share them here in the Forums.

We have seen another user come in with the same issue and shared a workaround that they have found if you’d like to give this a try: Unable to pull site: Permission denied (publickey). rsync connection unexpectedly closed: ssh-rsa signature algorithm mismatch

Thanks @Nick-B . To me that doesn’t seem like the exactly same issue, and the workaround seems pretty high level, but I’ll have a closer look.

Hi @popNik - certainly don’t feel obligated to attempt anything that you aren’t comfortable with, but I wanted to share it as a potentiality until we have something else in place to resolve this.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.