Multiple SSL issues in v6.4.3 on MacOS

Additional update on my problem. I have fixed it, but I’m confused as to what’s going on really.

So based upon that thread I mentioned. I had run:
var_dump(openssl_get_cert_locations());

And it showed me the following:

array(8) { ["default_cert_file"]=> string(35) "/usr/local/etc/openssl@1.1/cert.pem" ["default_cert_file_env"]=> string(13) "SSL_CERT_FILE" ["default_cert_dir"]=> string(32) "/usr/local/etc/openssl@1.1/certs" ["default_cert_dir_env"]=> string(12) "SSL_CERT_DIR" ["default_private_dir"]=> string(34) "/usr/local/etc/openssl@1.1/private" ["default_default_cert_area"]=> string(26) "/usr/local/etc/openssl@1.1" ["ini_cafile"]=> string(0) "" ["ini_capath"]=> string(0) "" }

ok, so it’s looking in /usr/local/etc/ for my certs. That’s cool. Except that I didn’t have that directory at all (no /etc/).

I made sure that openssl was installed:
brew install openssl

Then realized that that installed version 3 … so I tried to make sure that version 1.1 was installed:
brew install openssl@1.1

It already was installed. OK, OK. So I reinstalled it:
brew reinstall openssl@1.1

Right, so that didn’t really do anything … /usr/local/etc still didn’t exist.

I dug a bit more and realized that all those files existed on my machine as:
/opt/homebrew/etc/openssl@1.1
/opt/homebrew/etc/openssl@3.0

Hrmmm. So I went into /usr/local/etc and made a symlink for the openssl@1.1 folder.

And boom. My issues are solved. Which leads to going pourquoi??

6.4.1 didn’t have this issue. 6.4.3 does. Which implies that something about how the PHP version is compiled that comes with Local now is hardcoded/expecting the SSL certs to live in /usr/local/etc … when they may well not (and never did for me) on MacOS.