Stuck on "Starting Local Machine" after updating to 2.1.1

@Eric_Strickland,

Make sure you copy and paste the command I provided. You can paste into CMD by right-clicking.

After the command shows in CMD, press Enter.

not trying to be mean but did you not really read my comment??? I did what you said to do!! i did this->>> copy & past in cmd . pressed enter with this->>“ProgramFiles\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe” internalcommands repairhd “HomePath.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\disk.vmdk”
and
i got this ->>No file format specified and autodetect failed - please specify format: VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Can you try running the command again and then screenshot the output in Cmd.exe? I’d like to see the full output if possible.

Hi Clay,

Just installed the latest version of Flywheel. I’d love to use it instead of XAMPP. However, it isn’t working and constantly hangs at Starting Local Machine. Am I supposed to start Virtual Box separately or what? I watched a video of someone using this on a MAC flawlessly. Is this all Windows related? Here’s what the log file says (I’m using Windows 7 Ultimate):

Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/index] Existing Pressmatic data does not exist.
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/check-system] Check System: Docker Machine:
{ stdout: ‘Stopped\n’, stderr: ‘’ }
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/docker-machine] Checking Boot2Docker.iso hash
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [renderer/CheckEnvPage] Check system promise response:
[ undefined, ‘machine-halted’ ]
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/docker-machine] Boot2Docker.iso hash does not match!
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/docker-machine] Copying C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\boot2docker.iso to C:\Users\Owner.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\boot2docker.iso
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/docker-machine] Running C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\windows\docker-machine.exe start local-by-flywheel
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/docker-machine] Starting “local-by-flywheel”…
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/docker-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Check network to re-create if needed…
Dec 1, 2017, 5:03 PM EST - info: [main/docker-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Waiting for an IP…

Hi Robert,

It looks like it’s only been 3 minutes since the Waiting for an IP step. I would recommend giving it a little more time.

How long should it take?

It depends on the computer but I would give it around 10-15 minutes max.

@Eric_Strickland,

In that case, vmware-vdiskmanager.exe is your best bet for repairing the disk image. See Local App now hangs at Loading... screen. On step #1, make sure you download the Windows version.

If you run into an error about missing DLLs when running this, you may need to install OpenSSL. I was able to get around that error on my Windows testing VM in Parallels by installing the Win32 OpenSSL v1.0.2m Light version from this page: https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

hey, clay I did what you said and it didn’t work. but I would like for you to see something can you tell me what does this mean.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine local-by-flywheel.

Could not open the medium ‘C:\Users\erics.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\disk.vmdk’.

VMDK: inconsistency between grain table and backup grain table in ‘C:\Users\erics.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\disk.vmdk’ (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER).

VD: error VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER opening image file ‘C:\Users\erics.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\disk.vmdk’ (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}

Hi @Eric_Strickland,

Are you seeing the errors above in VirtualBox?

Can you try the vmware-vdiskmanager.exe process again and screenshot the output like you did before?

I’m so sorry for all of the trouble!

Hi, @ http://local.getflywheel.com/community/u/clay hope you can help me out here. I’m not a developer by the way. I was able to build a site using local by flywheel version 2.0.8 However, I want to push the site to flywheel hosting, but I can’t do that unless I’m using an newer local version. I have downloaded 2.1.2 version and now I’m stuck and can’t get local to work again.
Here is the log:
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/index] Existing Pressmatic data does not exist.
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/check-system] Check System: Docker Machine:
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [renderer/CheckEnvPage] Check system promise response:
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Checking Boot2Docker.iso hash
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Boot2Docker.iso hash does not match!
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Copying C:\Users\mohamed\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\boot2docker.iso to C:\Users\mohamed.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\boot2docker.iso
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Running C:\Users\mohamed\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\windows\docker-machine.exe start local-by-flywheel
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Starting “local-by-flywheel”…
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Check network to re-create if needed…
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine] Unable to start the VM: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe startvm local-by-flywheel --type headless failed:
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: The virtual machine ‘local-by-flywheel’ has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\mohamed.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\local-by-flywheel\Logs\VBoxHardening.log’
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine]
Dec 13, 2017, 8:30 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine] Details: 00:00:44.332509 VMMDev: Guest Log: 00:00:10.020625 vminfo Error: Unable to connect to system D-Bus (3/3): D-Bus not installed
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/index] Existing Pressmatic data does not exist.
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/check-system] Check System: Docker Machine:
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [renderer/CheckEnvPage] Check system promise response:
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Checking Boot2Docker.iso hash
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Boot2Docker.iso hash does not match!
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Copying C:\Users\mohamed\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\boot2docker.iso to C:\Users\mohamed.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\boot2docker.iso
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Running C:\Users\mohamed\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\windows\docker-machine.exe start local-by-flywheel
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] Starting “local-by-flywheel”…
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - info: [main/docker-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Check network to re-create if needed…
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine] Unable to start the VM: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe startvm local-by-flywheel --type headless failed:
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: The virtual machine ‘local-by-flywheel’ has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\mohamed.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\local-by-flywheel\Logs\VBoxHardening.log’
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine]
Dec 13, 2017, 9:00 AM GMT+8 - warn: [main/docker-machine] Details: 00:00:44.332509 VMMDev: Guest Log: 00:00:10.020625 vminfo Error: Unable to connect to system D-Bus (3/3): D-Bus not installed