Suddenly LocalWP is not opening

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I have created two sites using Local. Both sites are fully prepared, and I was considering making them live on my new domains. However, when I attempted to open Local this morning to back up my sites, the application did not launch. Now, I am deeply concerned about the possibility of losing my sites. I have invested significant effort over the past few days. Can anyone assist me in at least backing up my sites? Is there any alternative method available?

here is the video link of my issue: https://telegra.ph/localwp-is-not-opening-suddenly-after-making-2-site-03-29

I’m on Windows 11 Pro , 64bit

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

System Details

• Local Version: 8.3.2

• Operating System (OS) and OS version: windows 11pro 64bit

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @fallmanfall

You should be able to locate your site files manually on your machine and then save copies of them. Even if Local isn’t running they’ll still be saved.

That being said, do you have any antivirus, security, or firewall applications on your machine? These could be potential culprits for why it’s being kept from opening. Or are you running other developer applications simultaneously? That could also cause similar issues. Apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker for example.

"Can you assist me in how to take backup manually?

I don’t have any additional antivirus other than Windows Defender. Also, I don’t have any other developer apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker.

I only have Edge, CapCut, Opera, and LocalWP."

Hi @fallmanfall

On your machine you have a directory under /Users/Username/Local Sites that will include your files and folders you can backup and copy.

You might also check if Windows Defender is blocking Local from opening. This thread should provide some steps for you:

Windows defender is not blocking I checked the article. Btw thanks for assisting me to backup manually. One issue, after backing up manually when I install the site on another server and login to wordpress it shows me only 2 posts. But there was 25 posts in my site.

When you located your files and bundled them up you included your wp-content and SQL together?

Did you create any other backups of this site using a plugin or our Cloud Backups add on?

Are you still unable to open your Local app at all? If you’re still unable to open the app there must be something on your machine that is blocking it. If not Windows Defender can you sweep and ensure there aren’t any other apps or programs conflicting?

I had weird issues with Windows profiles. When I create new profile (Account) everything works.
1st profile didn’t had issues with character issue.

It’s also worth checking if the user you’re on has Admin privileges. Sometimes, like if you’re using a machine issued by your employer, this isn’t the case.

I created a zip of all the files inside my site’s folder. then backup the sql separately.

I didn’t make any other backups using plugin or cloud backup.

yes, I’m still unable to open LocalWP. I even tried uninstalling and re install but got the same result.

Are you using your machine as an admin user? Or have you changed user accounts at all?