"Uh-oh! Unable to import site." error when importing a site

Hey,

I’m having a recurring issue when it comes to importing a site.

Here’s a preview of the error:

I’ve found various topics regarding this issue, but haven’t found a viable solution, especially considering those are typically 1 off cases where the site is very large. I have attempted to import sites that are both very small, and large, and the issue seems to consistently occur.

Local: Version 6.6.0+6231
Mac Studio 2022 with Apple M1 Mac chip, 32GB Memory running macOS Ventura 13.2 (22D49)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hey @elliottmangham

Are you importing these sites from a third party host?

Could you try using WP Migrate (which is free) to create a simple export zip to drag and drop in?

If you’re still having trouble can you share your Local Log with us? Retrieving Local’s Log File

Hey, actually in this instance it was an export from WP Migrate that doesn’t work. It also doesn’t work if I export an existing site from Local WP and then reimport it, which doesn’t make much sense.

Please let me know if you’ve any ideas? I’ll be sure to share a log when I’m back on my PC (on my mobile rn).

Hi, @elliottmangham Thank you for the follow-up! It could be that there is some sort of permission or sync issue. Have you been able to import/export normally in the past? Have you recently updated Local or had any machine/OS updates go through?

Your logs should be able to help us narrow things down. There are some different ways to access and share Local Logs. For us to be able to troubleshoot thoroughly, please click the Download Local Logs button from the Support tab in Local. This will generate a zip archive that contains the Local log along with some other diagnostic information to help quickly zero in on any issues that Local is encountering.

If you want to try something more aggressive to start with a clean slate, you could also run through these steps:

• Export any sites that you have on Local and save them to a folder somewhere on your computer.

• Fully uninstall Local from your computer.

• Install the latest version of Local on this link.

• Once installed, please restart the computer.

• When the computer is restarted and turned on, close any applications that automatically run in the background (AntiVirus, Firewall, and other Developer applications included).

• Check and see if the issue still persists, and if it does, share an updated Local Log with us for further assistance.

Keep us posted and we’d be happy to help further!

Hey @Nick-B,

Thanks for your response. Whilst I’d love to follow those steps, I want to confirm that this is a brand new Mac Studio - literally a couple of days old. So I’ve only just got a bunch of sites setup (manually) and running, and frankly I’d hate to have to export them and attempt to reimport them allover again - especially if the import functionality doesn’t appear to be working.

I’ve just attempted another full site WP Migrate export, and dragged it into Local. It felt as though it was working, it let me pick a site name, domain and folder, and even prompted me for the password for the hosts file access. After that, it just stopped and notified me to use an import file of the “correct format”. Here’s the log following this incident:
local-logs.zip (15.8 KB)

If it’s somewhat easier, I’d love to get on a quick video to show you what’s happening.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.