Uh-oh! Unable to import site. Fresh Local WP install on Windows 11

Issue Summary

Unable to pull site from WP Engine on a fresh installation of the Local WP program on a new Windows 11 computer.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?

This happens to any environment on my server.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?

Yes

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?

6.7.0+6347

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

Windows 11 version 22H2

Screenshot 2023-03-22 125002

local-logs.zip (3.7 KB)

Hi @marc_forbes Do you have any antivirus, security, or firewall applications that could be blocking Local?

More details about troubleshooting this here: Router Mode

Hi Nick,

I followed the troubleshooting instructions found on the page you provided. This includes stopping whatever is listening on port 80 and ending that process. I received the following error when attempting the last step of “Changing Router Mode” - Fixing the site domain when prompted.

I’ve also reached out to my IT company, and they stated that there aren’t any firewalls blocking the connection.

Hi @marc_forbes

Are you getting any password prompts when you attempt to pull a site or create a new one?

Are you running other developer applications simultaneously? That could also cause similar issues. Apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker for example.

Please also share an update Local Log for us as well: Retrieving Local’s Log File

My entire team is seeing this same error. Seems to have been introduced with the last version or so of Local. We’ve changed nothing in our environments.

And when trying to import the database of the same site I can’t change the domain, we get this error:

Hi @whiw-squs

That error isn’t a new one, but it couldn’t indicate several different things going on. Can you provide us with some more details?

Are you and your team all using the same OS, on the same Local version, etc? Are you all working on the same site, or different sites together?

You mentioned importing a site, did these errors just start with this new project with this site you’re importing?

Can you provide a copy of your Local Log? Retrieving Local’s Log File

Same OS (Win 10), all using the same Local version, and all working on the same site. The site was importing and updating fine, and then it stopped working.

Log file output:

{"thread":"main","class":"DevKitService","message":"Could not create directory '/home/xxxx/.ssh'.\r\n","level":"warn","timestamp":"2023-04-06T19:07:35.543Z"}
{"thread":"main","class":"DevKitService","message":"Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/home/xxxx/.ssh/known_hosts).\r\n","level":"warn","timestamp":"2023-04-06T19:07:35.667Z"}
{"thread":"main","class":"DevKitService","message":"Could not create directory '/home/xxxx/.ssh'.\r\n","level":"warn","timestamp":"2023-04-06T19:08:03.181Z"}
{"thread":"main","class":"DevKitService","message":"Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/home/xxxx/.ssh/known_hosts).\r\n","level":"warn","timestamp":"2023-04-06T19:08:03.295Z"}
{"thread":"main","class":"DevKitService","message":"Could not create directory '/home/xxxx/.ssh'.\r\n","level":"warn","timestamp":"2023-04-06T19:08:16.457Z"}
{"thread":"main","class":"DevKitService","message":"Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/home/xxxx/.ssh/known_hosts).\r\n","level":"warn","timestamp":"2023-04-06T19:08:16.574Z"}
{"thread":"main","class":"DevKitService","message":"WARNING: --ssl is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. Use --ssl-mode instead.\n","level":"warn","timestamp":"2023-04-06T19:08:31.123Z"}
{"thread":"main","class":"ImporterWPE","stack":"Error: Command failed: \"%%userDataPath%%\\lightning-services\\php-7.4.30+5\\bin\\win64\\php.exe\" \"%%resourcesPath%%\\bin\\wp-cli\\wp-cli.phar\" --path=\"C:\\Users\\xxxx\\Local Sites\\xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-dev\\app\\public\" --require=\"%%resourcesPath%%\\bin\\wp-cli\\local-wpcli-error-reporting.php\" --skip-plugins --skip-themes --url=xxxxxxxxcomstg.wpengine.com \"search-replace\" --all-tables-with-prefix \"http://xxxxxxxxcomstg.wpengine.com\" \"http://xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-dev.local\"\nError: There has been a critical error on this website.Learn more about troubleshooting WordPress. There has been a critical error on this website.\n\n    at ChildProcess.exithandler (node:child_process:407:12)\n    at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:527:28)\n    at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:475:12)\n    at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1092:16)\n    at ChildProcess._handle.onexit (node:internal/child_process:302:5)","level":"warn","message":"Unable to import site.","timestamp":"2023-04-06T19:09:22.297Z"}

Something to check, are the versions of WP and PHP the same on the live site and in your Local instance for this site?

Yep, PHP versions match up.

Rewinding here, you were able to get the site imported into Local and begin working on it but then the errors started?

Regarding the original error, the critical error, were you seeing any fatal errors in the logging?

Can you share the full local log here? There are some different ways to access and share Local Logs. For us to be able to troubleshoot thoroughly, please click the Download Local Logs button from the Support tab in Local. This will generate a zip archive that contains the Local log along with some other diagnostic information to help quickly zero in on any issues that Local is encountering. You can just drag and drop that zip into the thread here.

Is this site currently hosted on WP Engine or Flywheel? Or is it hosted elsewhere?

Hi Nick,

I’m not getting any password prompts. The only other developer app I’m using is FileZilla, no other VMs.

Here’s an updated Local Log
local-logs1.zip (20.5 KB)

@marc_forbes

Have you been able to pull sites from WPE previously? Or was this your first attempt?

Another thing to try would be resetting your API credentials: Troubleshooting Connect to WP Engine - Local

This is the first attempt of a fresh install of Local WP on a brand new computer.

That being said. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, generated a new API key, and now I’m up and running.

Thanks again for your time and help on this, Nick-B

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.