Unable to access Local sites

The past year I have been using the Local app with Flywheel host to locally create and edit a number of Wordpress websites. The past few weeks I have been unable to connect to any of these sites. When I try to connect to them I get a couple different error messages, depending on which site I’m trying to connect to.

When I had access to the sites, I believe nginx was the default server that was displayed. Now neither nginx nor apache are selected, and when I try to apply either server I get the following error message:

“Uh Oh! Unable to start site. Error: EPERM: operation not permitted rmdir (filepath on pc to a folder that doesn’t exist)”

Under the error message there is a filepath to an nginx includes folder in my hard drive; but I can’t find this folder in my hard drive. I do have a folder on my hard drive called “Local Sites” which contains the folders of all the sites I created with Local.

When I try to connect to a different site I get the following error message:

“Uh Oh! Local ran into an error. TypeError: Cannot read property ‘version’ of undefined Stack Trace: ‘in Unknown, in _, in ul, " etc., all listed in a long vertical column

I’m using the latest version of Local; and using Windows 10 Home.

If anyone can help me understand how to access or recover any of these sites I’d be very appreciative.

local-lightning.log (617.3 KB)

Did you ever get any help with this, I have a similar problem… I hope support are serious here or I wasted a month of work…

Hi Tommie,

Sorry to hear you’re having similar difficulties. I never got any feedback after leaving my question on the Local message board; you’re the first person that I know of to leave a comment.

I did however get some feedback from some folks at Flywheel. I think you should try running your sites through another app like xampp; theoretically you should be able to since all your files should be on your local computer.

Here’s a direct quote from the last person from Flywheel who messaged me concerning the issue:

"As your sites are in Local, they will indeed be backed up to your hard drive. Your site contents and database are stored within the App folder.

I believe Jarod’s suggestion to take a backup was referring to making a second copy of the three folders: app, conf and logs (Located in /Local Sites/SITE_NAME) as a safety net in the event they are deleted when you uninstall/reinstall local.

If the app doesn’t allow you to back those up via the Export function, you could navigate to those directories directly and make a copy that way. You should be able to then use those folders to restore the site in Local if needed." *end quote

To run your sites through xampp you might need to copy your sites’ relevant folders and paste them in a new location and/or change the directory root in the xampp configuration file. Since all your sites’ files should be on your computer, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to run them through xampp.

I pretty much abandoned my projects on Local after not getting any feedback on the message board; so frustrating! From now on I’m playing it safe by sticking with xampp or mamp.

I hope this feedback will prove helpful, please let me know if you have any success. Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.