Why doesn't Local by Flywheel set a custom domain to /etc/hosts when multisite settings?

I have a website of multisite settings on production. And I want to develop on my laptop.
So I installed Local by Flywheel, imported project’s files.
But I have an error that subdomain was not found on DNS.
I checked some settings, for example, database settings, .htaccess, wp-config.php.
I couldn’t solve the problem.
By chance, I checked out the file, /etc/hosts.
I surprised that it just wrote down below.

## Local by Flywheel - Start ##
192.168.95.100 mydomain.local #Local Site
192.168.95.100 www.misosilwordpress.local #Local Site
## Local by Flywheel - End ##

Where is subdomain??

OK. I add a subdomain to the file.
It worked perfectly!

So Why doesn’t Local by Flywheel set or sync a custom domain to /etc/hosts when multisite settings?

Hey Tadao –

Having a better Multisite experience when using Local is one of the things that we want to improve on soon, but it’s definitely a tricky thing to figure out!

That being said, Local should have a button to help with syncing subdomains that are defined within the WordPress Multisite:

Hi,

I’m running local 3.3.0 on Windows 10 and the ‘Sync multi-site domains to hosts file’ button doesn’t seem to do anything at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Neil

Hey @NSJ, I’m just coming across your post here. Obviously we figured this out in through Flywheel support channels but for others that might come across this, Windows permissions can definitely get in the way of allowing Local to sync the Multisite domain list. The solution is to right click on the Local shortcut, goto Properties > Compatibility > check the box to run it as an administrator.

1 Like