Windows 10 App Crashed and Won't Restart

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I was using the app on Windows 10 just as I do everyday of the week. My entire system froze and forced a reboot. After a quick restart everything works fine except Local will not open. I can see the app, I can open the app and I can see it in my Task Manager as running, but I don’t get the normal opening/loading graphic and the app itself never visibly opens so that I can do anything.

I’ve never experienced this before and it’s super weird to me that I can double click, get the little wheel, see it in Task Manager but not able to actually access the app. It does not show on Taskbar at all.

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

• Restarted
  • Reinstalled current version (9.0.5)
  • Downgraded to older version (9.0.1)
  • Run as administrator
  • Checked Windows Defender to ensure it’s able to bypass Firewall
  • Cleared disk cache
  • Cleared MS Store cache (not sure why)
  • Ran a Windows update
  • Check to confirm it’s not showing on another “Desktop” within windows
  • No other Monitor it may be on either

System Details

• Local Version: 9.0.5 and tired 9.0.1

• Operating System (OS) and OS version: Windows 10, fully updated

Local Logs

Can’t access since I’m unable to open the app and Command Prompt says the path from the help docs isn’t found

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @dallasmclaughlin

Nick here following up on your support request!

In order to refresh here and start with a clean slate could you give the below troubleshooting steps a try?

• First, save your Local site files. Since you can’t open the app you’ll have to manually navigate to where your Local site files are located and make sure to copy and save those so you don’t lose your sites or any work.

• Fully uninstall Local from your computer using the steps for Windows here: Uninstall Local - Local

• Install the latest version of Local on this link: Releases - Local

• Once installed, please restart the computer.

• When the computer is restarted and turned on, close any applications that automatically run in the background (AntiVirus, Firewall, and other Developer applications included).

• Check and see if the issue still persists.

Hi @Nick-B,
Thanks for the suggestion. I did uninstall via “Add & Remove”, I deleted the /AppData/Roaming/Local folder, reinstalled and restarted prior to attempting to launch the app. When I was rebooted and attempted to launch the app I have the same issue.

I get a momentary spinny wheel cursor, then nothing. It never shows up in the Taskbar. It does then show up under “Background processes” in the Task Manager (3 instances), but not under “Apps”.

UPDATE: This did work! I must have deleted the wrong folder or /AppData/Roaming the first time as I went back through the steps and found it a second time.

Now how do I restore my old “Local Sites” folder which contained my old projects? I have dropped them back into their respective folders.

Hi @dallasmclaughlin - Glad to hear that!

As far as getting the sites back you’ll have to reimport them. So you can zip up the contents of each site, and then drag and drop the zip over the Local app and the native import should take care of the rest. You’ll have to do each site one at a time so it will be a bit of manual effort but once you get them back in you should be set.

We have some instructions here, as well as manual instructions so if for some reason the zip isn’t working you can manually import in your content and DB.