Xdebug+VSCode

I cannot get this add-on to install. All it does, whether I install from disk or within the Local app (Windows 10), is sit there forever saying “Installing…”. I’ve tried closing & re-opening Local, closed VS Code, and more - nothing helps. How do I determine what the problem is?

Thanks!

I am also facing same issue tried to install xdebug+vscode addon on linux both from addons page and from disk. It gets stuck and nothing happens. pls help

Thanks for bringing this up @adi3890 and @rhkittredge and welcome to the community!

Can you please provide your Local Log so we can get a better idea of what Local is encountering? See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:

Also, @adi3890 – what distro and version of Linux are you using?

I noticed this issue isn’t isolated to the xdebug add-on. I am unable to install any add-on; they all do the same thing - sit there forever saying “installing”.

I’m attaching the local log.local-lightning.log (33.5 KB)

Thanks for providing that Local log!

There’s an interesting line in there that makes me think that there’s a bug with one of the libraries that Local relies on. Specifically the issue is trying to rename the add-on “across partitions.”

{"thread":"main","reason":{"errno":-4037,"syscall":"rename","code":"EXDEV","path":"D:\\Users\\Rob\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\local-4dFLp7pb4\\package","dest":"%%userDataPath%%\\addons\\local-addon-notes"},"p":{},"level":"warn","message":"Unhandled Rejection.","timestamp":"2021-03-19T11:54:48.113Z"}

From the path in that error, it looks like your user profile is installed on the D:\ partition.

I wonder if this is an issue with the Add-on Library code, or more generally installing all add-ons. As a test, can you try manually downloading one of those add-ons and install it using Local’s “Install from Disk” button? To do this:

1. Navigate to the add-on repository on Github, and view the releases for that addon. For example, here’s the releases for the “Notes” addon:

2. Download one of the .tgz files

3. Within Local, navigate to “Addon > Installed” and click the “Install from Disk” link

4. Use the .tgz file that was downloaded from Github

Can you give that a try and let us know if that workaround allows you to install Local add-ons?

Oh shoot, I see in the original post you mention that you already tried installing from disk.

As a final “ultra manual installation workaround” can you try extracting the add-on to where it would ultimately be on disk?

Here’s what Local’s configuration folder looks like for me on a Mac:

But guessing from the error message in your Local log, you’ll want to put that add-on source code here:

D:\\Users\\Rob\\AppData\\Local\\addons

Remember to quit Local and restart it so that it “sees” that addon. You’ll have to navigate to the “Installed” add-ons page in Local in order to actually enable the add-on.

Can you give that a shot and let us know how it goes?

Thanks Ben. I tried the manual install method, by extracting the addon code to the folder where I think it wants it (in this case “C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Local\addons\local-addon-xdebug-vscode”) and based on the fact there already was an addon folder in the “C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Local\addons” folder. Also tried it on the D drive (had to create an addon folder) and no matter where I put it, Local would not find the addon after restarting it.

I do suspect the problem is the C vs D drive. My C drive is basically my OS only; I install software on D. In this case the Local executable is on D, however it also created a folder on C to store preferences, cache and a heap of other things. I could try uninstalling Local altogether and installing the whole thing on C and see if that works.

I’d be curious to hear if installing Local on the C drive fixes things. I know that Local has had some issues in the past when installed on a different partition in Windows.

Ben,

I tried uninstalling the Local app and reinstalling on the C drive and it didn’t help. I can tell from the logs it is still trying to do something on the D drive, probably because my user profile is stored on D. So, I don’t see a way I can get this working.

Incidentally, when I uninstall the app, there is quite a bit of data that is left behind. In fact, when I deleted the app and reinstalled it, it still had all the info about the site I had created with it. The second time I uninstalled the app, I deleted all the files/folders that got left behind. Then I reinstalled, and this time it was clearly a fresh install. I’d think that when you uninstall an app, the entire app is removed as if it were never there but it seems that’s not the case with Local.

Thanks!