SSL certificates no longer work in Google Chrome

Hi all,

First things first - I’m sorry users are still running into issues here! We understand that troubleshooting SSL issues can be frustrating.

Over the last few days, the Local team has tried to reproduce the issues in this thread; upgrading/downgrading Chrome, upgrading/downgrading OS versions, switching between macOS, Windows, and Linux machines… and we haven’t been able to get our machines into the same state, even on the same versions/combinations as those reporting the issue.

I don’t think this is a bug in Local - we haven’t made any changes to our SSL code - and I don’t want to just pass the buck and blame it on Chrome.

Here’s what we’re planning for next steps:

• We’re going to prioritize moving Local to a single root certificate that all of a user’s sites will rely on; this should eliminate most SSL issues and means we’ll only have to trust Local **once.
  • In the meantime, if users run into this issues, the most common fix was closing Local, deleting the certs folder on the machine, and relaunching Local and regenerating certificates for the site. The theory is Chrome has an issue with the older certificates.
  • If you run into this in the meantime, here’s what we recommend:
  1. Update to the latest Chrome (as of 11 Nov, that is 107.0.5304.107)
  2. Close Local
  3. Delete the certs folder (on Mac, ~/Library/Application Support/Local/run/router/nginix/certs. On Windows, %APPDATA%/Local/run/router/nginix/certs)
  4. Open Local
  5. Regenerate the certificates for your site(s)
  6. On macOS, open Keychain and set your site to “Always Trust”
  7. Come back to Local and open your site in the browser
  8. Make sure you’re manually entering https in the address bar or hit Continue to {url} (unsafe) to bypass
  9. If for some reason #8 doesn’t work for you, typing thisisunsafe into Chrome (really) and hitting Enter should let you bypass the warning.

If anyone is able to find consistent reproduction steps, we’ll jump back on this one ASAP. Thanks for sticking with us while we work on improving SSL in general!

7 Likes