Adding a new site stuck forever at "Downloading Wordpress"

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I am adding a new site and it is stuck at “Downloading Wordpress”.

System Details

  • Local Version:
    Version 8.0.1+6490

  • Operating System (OS) and OS version:
    MacOS sonoma 14.0

Local Logs (16.3 KB)

1 Like

Are you trying to import a site? Or just create a new, blank site in Local?

Have you tried any reboots, restarts, etc?

I thought it was just me!!

I un-installed/re-installed over 10 times, went through the system files to delete any traces, and even tried installing an old version - it is always stuck on “Download WordPress” (I’ve left it running for 28 hours).

Hey all - this typically means Local is unable to reach the WordPress domain that we’re downloading WordPress from. If we inspect your Local logs, I assume we’ll find an error message describing this in there.

Two things:

  1. Can you share your Local logs so that we can confirm?
  2. Have you tried switching networks or turning off antivirus/firewall that may be preventing Local from talking to WordPress?
1 Like

I had the same issue, just hung on ‘Downloading Wordpress’.

I checked the logs (excerpt below), and there is a reference to the download source, but no obvious error message. I tried downloading from that source manually via browser, and initial attempt failed, subsequent request downloaded successfully.

This is on MacOS and with no firewall running.

For my purposes I have successfully installed a site in localwp from a (kinsta) backup, so will clone that to provision, then delete/overwrite the public folder, reusing database config. Edit: cloning site also hangs, this time on ‘Starting site Services’ - again the last log entry is info:‘Electron Event activate’

{"class":"WordPressInstaller","level":"info","message":"Init WordPressInstaller","thread":"main","timestamp":"2023-12-21T20:06:53.073Z"}
{"class":"WordPressInstaller","level":"info","message":"Starting standardInstall()","thread":"main","timestamp":"2023-12-21T20:06:53.073Z"}
{"class":"WordPressInstaller","latestOfflineWpVersion":null,"level":"info","message":"Latest offline version info","thread":"main","timestamp":"2023-12-21T20:06:53.074Z"}
{"class":"WordPressInstaller","download":"","level":"info","message":"Latest version info","thread":"main","timestamp":"2023-12-21T20:06:53.592Z","version":"6.4.2"}
{"class":"WordPressInstaller","level":"info","message":"Attempting to download WordPress","thread":"main","timestamp":"2023-12-21T20:06:53.593Z"}
{"level":"info","message":"Electron Event activate","timestamp":"2023-12-21T20:07:56.472Z"}

Problem solved. I updated the app via ‘check for updates’, now on 8.2.0+6554 and everything worked as expected when I created a new site.

Up and running with a new Wordpress site in about 30 seconds!

As a sidenote, after resolving that update issue, setup is much simpler and local site more responsive than my experience with DevKinsta, and seems to be less of a resource hog too.

1 Like

Glad to hear it @tombola! Thank you for sharing your update here. Happy Developing :green_heart:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.