Cannot connect to live website after stopping local

Issue Summary

I cannot connect to my live website after stopping local using firefox. Firefox says unable to connect.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    I only have one as of now.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    Yes

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

Turn off local. Try to access live website.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?
    I don’t know. Just downloaded.
  • What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?
    • For example: macOS Catalina or Windows 10 Professional

Latest macOS.

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi there @pepper - welcome to the Local community :wave:

To clarify - are you saying when you close Local the site is no longer accessible?

If so, that is expected behavior. Once the Local app is closed, the site will no longer be available. In order to view the site the Local app needs to be open and the site needs to be in the “Started” state.

Does that help answer your question?

Thank you,

Sam

No that’s not what I’m saying at all.

Here is what I’m saying:

When I stop the website in local I cannot access the LIVE website using Firefox. I have to delete the entry made by local in my hosts file to be able to access the live website.

Hi @pepper -

Ah thank you for clarifying.

Did you happen to set the Site Domain in the Local App to the exact same as the Live website? If so, your computer will still point to the Local site.

Are you able to access the live site from another device? That would be another clue that your computer is pointing to the local version of the site when hitting that domain.

I would recommend updating the Site Domain in the Local App to something else (like yourdomain.local, etc). You may want to make a backup (export) of your site before doing that.

Here’s a help doc walking through how to export your site:

Let me know if that answered your question.

Sam

I tried that but then it breaks my plugins that require authentication like elementor pro for example. I can’t develop the websites without certain plug-in functionality.

Unless you know a way to prevent that?

Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.