Cannot get VM started due to Waiting for an IP / Maximum number of retries (60) exceeded error

Good to know/confirm @StuartMorrisAU :slight_smile:

So @clay, I suspect we need to explicitly tie the Flywheel startup process to the specific ssh.exe you want to use rather than relying on Windows paths picking up a different one?

@SteveCliff,

Thanks for digging into this and sharing your findings! It’s been very helpful.

There’s an issue where docker-machine won’t use the built-in/native SSH implementation in Golang even if you specify the --native-ssh argument.

Fortunately, we have a solution and I’ll provide a test build later today for you to try with OpenSSL re-enabled. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SteveCliff @StuartMorrisAU,

Here’s the test build I promised:

You both should be able to use it alongside Git Bash and the Windows OpenSSL beta.

1 Like

@clay success!!!

1 Like

Yes, success here too @clay :slight_smile:

Checking through the logs though I did spot this NFS failure the very first time it went through but not sure whether this is another issue or just a usual error on a Windows 10 set up?

(Either way the original problem on this thread is resolved - thanks Clay!)

export DOCKER_HOST="tcp://192.168.95.100:2376"
export DOCKER_CERT_PATH="C:\Users\steve\.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel"
export DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME="local-by-flywheel"
export COMPOSE_CONVERT_WINDOWS_PATHS="true"
# Run this command to configure your shell: 
# eval $("C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\windows\docker-machine.exe" env --shell bash local-by-flywheel)

Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] NFS Mount Status 
{ mountedPoints: [], mountPoints: [ '/c/Users' ] }
Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Enabling Docker Machine NFS
Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] WinNFSd already running
Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Mounting Boot2Docker volumes Attempt number:  1
Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] NFS Test Result 
{ stdout: 'no /usr/local/sbin/rpc.statd found; none killed\r\nStarting nfs client utilities.\r\nTerminated\r\n',
  stderr: '' }
Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Mounting Boot2Docker volumes Attempt number:  2
{ stdout: 'stopped /usr/local/sbin/rpc.statd (pid 1596)\r\n/usr/local/sbin/rpcbind is already running\r\n1594\r\nStarting nfs client utilities.\r\nTerminated\r\n',
Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Mounting Boot2Docker volumes Attempt number:  3
{ stdout: 'stopped /usr/local/sbin/rpc.statd (pid 1619)\r\n/usr/local/sbin/rpcbind is already running\r\n1594\r\nStarting nfs client utilities.\r\nTerminated\r\n',
Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Mounting Boot2Docker volumes Attempt number:  4
{ stdout: 'stopped /usr/local/sbin/rpc.statd (pid 1638)\r\n/usr/local/sbin/rpcbind is already running\r\n1594\r\nStarting nfs client utilities.\r\nTerminated\r\n',
Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Mounting Boot2Docker volumes Attempt number:  5
Mar 7, 2018, 6:30 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] NFS Test Result 
{ stdout: 'stopped /usr/local/sbin/rpc.statd (pid 1661)\r\n/usr/local/sbin/rpcbind is already running\r\n1594\r\nStarting nfs client utilities.\r\nTerminated\r\n',
Mar 7, 2018, 6:30 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Mounting Boot2Docker volumes Attempt number:  6
Mar 7, 2018, 6:30 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] NFS Test Result 
{ stdout: 'stopped /usr/local/sbin/rpc.statd (pid 1688)\r\n/usr/local/sbin/rpcbind is already running\r\n1594\r\nStarting nfs client utilities.\r\nTerminated\r\n',
Mar 7, 2018, 6:30 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Unabled to mount NFS. Falling back to vboxsf
Mar 7, 2018, 6:30 AM GMT - info: [main/docker-machine-fdv] Mounting folders with vboxsf 
[ { path: '\\\\?\\c:\\Users', name: 'c/Users' } ]
1 Like

Glad it’s working!

We’ll keep an eye on the NFS issue. Thanks for the log. :slight_smile:

Hi Clay, I have a very similar issue here, I cannot install Local, I’ve tried everything and even the test build doesn’t work…I always get “Error creating machine: Error in driver during machine creation: Unable to start the VM: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe startvm local-by-flywheel --type headless failed:”

Can you please help me? Thank you in advance!

local-by-flywheel.log (73.0 KB)

Hi. I also got the same issue. Local by Flywheel wasn’t able to get past “Starting Local Machine”. This happened today right after allowing Windows 10 to update to version 1803. This was working fine yesterday.

After the Windows update was done, I run Local and chose “Yes” for VirtualBox when “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to this device?” popup show up, twice. My log is attached. Thanks in advanced.

local-by-flywheel.log (791.5 KB)

@espidesigns,

Can you please try the steps in How can I forcefully restart the Local by Flywheel VM??

If that doesn’t work, download and install the latest version of VirtualBox. Here’s the direct download link for Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.12/VirtualBox-5.2.12-122591-Win.exe

Hi @clay,

I looked around the forum yesterday and found the same article. I did the steps yesterday before leaving a note, and retried to do the same steps today after you replied. Still the same.

I also downloaded the latest version of VirtualBox yesterday and installed it. Didn’t work.

Afterwards, I have reinstalled Local by Flywheel too with a new downloaded installer. Still the same issue :frowning:

Hi. I also got the same issue. Here is the log:

Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [renderer/CheckEnvPage] Check system promise response: 
[ undefined, 'machine-halted' ]
Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [main/docker-machine] Checking Boot2Docker.iso hash
Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [main/check-system] Check System: Docker Machine:  
{ stdout: 'Stopped\n', stderr: '' }
Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [main/docker-machine] Boot2Docker.iso hash does not match!
Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [main/docker-machine] Copying C:\Users\Diego\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\boot2docker.iso to C:\Users\Diego\.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\boot2docker.iso
Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [main/docker-machine] Running  C:\Users\Diego\AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\windows\docker-machine.exe start local-by-flywheel
Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [main/docker-machine] Starting "local-by-flywheel"...
Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [main/docker-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Check network to re-create if needed...
Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 AM GMT+2 - info: [main/docker-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Waiting for an IP...

@espidesigns @dimm,

Are either of you running internet security and/or a VPN? If so, please try disabling them.

hello everyone ! same issue, same logs, i don’t know what i do, i have just finished 2 month of work and yesterday i got this issue, there is at least a way to move my site to another working local in my second laptop ?? thank you

@Zak,

Please go ahead and provide your log file.

Also, did you recently change network settings, install anti-virus, or install a VPN?

thank you clay, i have removed all and restart from zero :frowning: i don’t wanted to lose time trying fixing this. thank you very much for your fast reply. i just want to know if there is a way to restore the site if we have not backing up our database. only with the folders we have ( i see a folder with database tables inside) . may be this can help to move the site to a another working local byflywheel installation. thank you

Hi @Zak,

Yup! As long as you have the site files and SQL files it’s very easy to import the site again.

Please see https://getflywheel.com/wordpress-support/how-to-import-a-wordpress-site-into-local/

thank you clay