First timer - need some directions

I have someone create a Wordpress site, I need something to preview the site. I picked LOCAL, and I downloaded a zip file online to test a site.It does say error importing. When I click create one, it is asking for Setup Wordpress, do I need to register on their site first?

thank you for helping. I just want a sample site I can test opening in LOCAL.

skt-green.1.2.zip (789.6 KB)

Hey @ronny99, Welcome to the Local Community Forums!

I’m not quite sure what is trying to be done here.

Local is a development tool for building WordPress sites. It should make it easy to import existing site and then work with them, by dragging and dropping a zip file that contains the wp-content folder along with a dump of the database.

This sounds odd to me though. If you have someone that has created a site for you already, shouldn’t they be providing a way for you to view that site? Usually that means they upload it to a staging server, or at the very least provide you with specific instructions on how to review their work.

I would recommend working with them on the best way to review the site!

1 Like

One other thing – If you are wanting more details untangling this WordPress universe, I think there’s a lot of great content on Youtube!

As an example, this video from Ferdy goes into some detail about installing and using Local to start working with a WordPress site:

That’s not the only video out there, so be sure to search through other content that might be helpful!

1 Like

thank you, that person actually did all of the work and imported the site in Wordpress, all done. thank you for the comments

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.