Formatting Toolbar Problems

Issue Summary

Not sure where to post this on the forum help site, so bear with me here…

I am having issues finding the “long” formatting toolbar on my Local site when editing. I just started the bulk of my website work, and wanted to use buttons for some links on my homepage. To do this, I downloaded a plugin called “Forget About Shortcode Buttons.” I then activated the plugin, and went to the page to begin editing.

I found a website explaining how to use the plugin buttons, and in the instructions they show a picture of a “long” formatting toolbar. In that toolbar, there’s a special Insert Button that correlates with the plugin (see attached pic).

However, when I go to my Local site to edit the page and attempt to add the buttons, I only see a very short formatting toolbar…with only a few options, nothing close to the longer tool bar (see other attached pic). There’s a drop down box of more toolbar options, but only a few…nothing close to the “long” formatting toolbar to edit.

Long story short, how to I find this longer toolbar, in order to be able to use my plugins for these buttons I want to add? I’d also like the longer toolbar for editing as well…but it’s a mystery as to how to find it.

I scoured the internet for answers, and couldn’t find this ANYWHERE. So any help is greatly appreciated! I wanted to work on my site today, but this has held me up.

Hi there, Robert! :wave:t3:

Thanks for bringing your question here.

I took a look at the plugin, and it looks like it’s not compatible with Gutenburg yet (which is what your screenshot is displaying, as opposed to theirs, which is in the Classic Editor).

I saw this note about incompatibility on the plugin page:

Compatible with the WordPress Classic Editor, Gutenberg integration coming soon :slightly_smiling_face:

You could add the Classic Editor plugin if you wanted to - I tested & it does in fact appear - but the future of WordPress is definitely the block editor (Gutenburg).

The block editor has a block called “Button” that you can use to create a button, and there is a great Icon Block plugin for adding icons that is compatible with Gutenburg that you may want to try.

Here is the Icon Block plugin:

I hope that helps, and I’m happy to chat through more ideas, too!

:woman_technologist:t3: Sam

Thank you for getting back to me so quick about this. So basically the plugin I wanted to use is an older plugin. Now, IF I still wanted to use that older plugin, would changing my theme to an older theme work?

Also, sorry for not knowing, but what is “Gutenburg”? Is that the name of the theme? I know I am using the 2020 theme.

Thank you for your help.

Hi, Robert!

Yes, so since the plugin you want to use is an older one (and it is not compatible with the new editing experience in WordPress - which is sometimes referred to as “Gutenberg”) in order to use it you’d have to install the Classic Editor plugin. You don’t have to change your theme.

In the past, when building sites in WordPress you’d use the Classic Editor, but a few years ago there was the introduction of the block editor, which is what you’re seeing now. It is an editing experience that uses blocks to add page content and lets go of the traditional WordPress editing elements.

If you’re looking to learn more about the block editor, I absolutely recommend starting here:

In addition, Nick Diego hosts “Builder Basics” over on Learn WordPress & this particular Social Learning Space has lots of insight around basic design with WordPress:

Let me know if that helps or if you have any more questions!

This all helped me very much, Sam. I ended up using the Classic Editor plugin, and after some trial and error, I got my buttons able to work just like I wanted. thank you VERY MUCH for getting back to me about all of this so quick…I was able to get a lot done with this, so thank you!

Hi Robert! :wave:

Woohoo - I’m so happy to hear that! :tada:

I’m going to close this topic but please go ahead & reach out should you run into any more trouble along the way. So happy to have you here!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.