Installing a new copy of Local

Here is a copy of the window being displayed when I try to install Local.

Local was unable to reload VirtualBox’s Kernel Extensions.

Please check System Preferences » Security & Privacy » General and click “Allow” if present.

If this issue persists, please visit the Local by Flywheel Community.

I am using a Mac with OS: Mojave - Version 10.14

Thanks in advance

@pgafinch

When the notice was displayed in Local, did you see the “Allow” button in the System Preferences? If not you can try the following steps:

1. Quit Local if it’s running
  2. Open Terminal
  3. Run sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh restart
  4. Go to System Preferences
  5. Go to Security & Privacy
  6. Go to General
  7. Click the “Allow” button. If it isn’t present, please let us know!
  8. Re-open Local
1 Like

The “Allow” button does not display.

1 Like

Exact same problem here. I tried the steps you suggested, @andypeters, but unfortunately the “Allow” button never shows in system prefs.

I ended up downloading the latest version of the VirtualBox software from the Oracle site and installing it. Even though I have never launched VirtualBox and don’t use it, that is all it took… then I could launch Local and it fixed everything. Yay!

thanks
Eric

Exact same problem here. In Terminal, I get the following read out:

Loading VBoxDrv.kext
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not loadable (reason unspecified); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Error: Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext
Loading VBoxUSB.kext
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxUSB.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) dependency load failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Error: Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxUSB.kext
Loading VBoxNetFlt.kext
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxNetFlt.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) dependency load failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Error: Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxNetFlt.kext
Loading VBoxNetAdp.kext
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxNetAdp.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) dependency load failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Error: Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxNetAdp.kext
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp not found for unload request.
Failed to unload org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp - (libkern/kext) not found.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt not found for unload request.
Failed to unload org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt - (libkern/kext) not found.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB not found for unload request.
Failed to unload org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB - (libkern/kext) not found.
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv not found for unload request.
Failed to unload org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv - (libkern/kext) not found.
Fatal error: VirtualBox

I’ll try to download VirtualBox as well to see if that fixes it.

Had the same problem after upgrading to OX Mojave and Local to 2.4.2. Also didn’t see a “Allow” in Preferences -> …

I discovered my virtual box is 4.1.x and Mojave will not even allow it to be opened. Downloaded the latest virtual box 5.2.x and now everything works like before. Good luck

1 Like

Any new solutions to this problem yet? I don’t see an Allow button in general under system preferences. Is there something I can run in iTerm2 to solve this problem?

“Allow” button isn’t present, any other solutions?

Okay, I solved this issue at least for myself. My VirtualBox had an update that I needed to make you can install the latest update by going to the link i’ve provided below. Simply install the update and reopen local and everything should work just fine.

https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.20/VirtualBox-5.2.20-125813-OSX.dmg

Thank you Brenna, updating the VirtualBox software with your link worked great for me.