Local is requesting permission to edit hosts

Issue Summary

I had an local on my pc, but when i reset my pc and install the clean local from the site it wont let me import or creating a new site.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    all

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    no

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?
    the last one

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

• For example: macOS Catalina or Windows 10 Professional

windows 10

• Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.
local-logs.zip (2.4 KB)

Hope that you will have the answers, ty

Hello there @itamarbenez! Have you checked to see if you have any anti-virus or security in place that could be blocking Local? There are some more details on a similar thread here: Uh-oh! Could not update hosts file | Unable to Grant Admin Permission - #6 by Mud

Specifically, you may want to try going to Local > Preferences > Advanced > Router Mode and switching it to LocalHost. More details about this troubleshooting here: What is Router Mode? - Local

Hey ! thx for answering.

I read all the similar posts.

I tried to disable my anti-virus - nothing changed.
I tried to do clean uninstall and install again - nothing changed.

about the router mode - still did not tried it. i tried to read inside of the DOC and couldnot find any answer. if i use router mode - i will be able to import sites from other devices that’s not on router mode?

Yes, you should still be able to import sites in your Local app. These are the only limitations of using LocalHost as your Router Mode:

1. Sites can’t use HTTPS. Because Local can’t manage the localhost SSL certificate, there’s no way for Local to make the sites accessible over HTTPS.
  2. Sites can’t use Live Links. The router handles part of the magic of using live links.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.