New first time user

I tried to import a WordPress zip file, however it starts displays a delete message and ends, Not seeing any indications why. This zip word press file was sent to me. The original file was not deleted. Can anyone help.

Hi @osmond1114

Local might be having a problem importing the file. Generally, what Local needs are a WP-Content and SQL. You could try unzipping the file, removing everything except those, and then rezipping it and testing another import.

If the site is still hosted elsewhere, whoever has access could also use a plugin like WP Migrate Lite to create an export with those items.

As another workaround, you could try a more manual approach:

• Unzip the file in a common location, like the desktop
  • Create a new, blank site in Local. Use whatever username/password you like since you’ll overwrite the DB with this site archive’s dump.
  • Copy the wp-content folder from the unzipped location to this newly created site’s location
  • Copy the correct SQL dump to the site root.
  • Within Local, open the site shell
  • Import the dump with wp db import <dumpfile>
  • If that works, now Search and replace the domains. wp search-replace ' https://production.com ' 'http:mylocalsite.local'

Thank you kindly for your response, it helped me to find out what the problem is but I still need to find a solution. The file is a zip file for a website being developed by an outside partner, In the zip file, as discovered by your program and MS extract zip program, there is an illegal character and they both specify the sentence where the character is ’ \Robotic solutions to simplify - business-ch". I do not know how to locate the section/program with the problem character. I unzipped the file so I could find the file but cannot. Any advice, sure you know.

Osmond M Bullen

If you’re having trouble locating it could you use One Drive to rename it? More details here:

I made some progress, a message saying “setting up site services”, running for the past hour, how long does it, or should it take?

Osmond M Bullen

An hour would be a little long in my opinion unless this happened to be an extremely massive site. It’s more likely it has stalled for some reason or there is some other type of connection or resource interference on your machine.

I canceled it. I am looking at a screenshot can I do an individual update? Drag your file:? how to handle a folder!! Fast way to create? I have the files, use Try wp Migrate to re-zip.

Osmond M Bullen

If you have the site zipped up you can just drag and drop the zip into Local. You don’t need to create a site first unless you’re going to do the manual workflow that I outlined above.