Restore Local website with Restic

Last I had to reinstall my Macbook, so I’ve made a backup of my Local WP website to Dropbox, using the Local Cloud Backups. After installing Local WP again, and adding the cloud backup back to the Local app, I’ve ended up with a problem (Wordpress version keeps searching), and I can’t enter my Wordpress page or the admin. Ben from Local WP advised me to install Restic and restore the backup. After a while I finally figured out how to install Restic, and that’s working fine in Apple’s Terminal. Unfortunately I don’t understand what and when I have to put in de terminal to get the job done.

I don’t have any experience with coding or the terminal.

I’m watching around Google, forums and even YouTube. But till now, I didn’t found out how to get it work.

Is there anyone who can help me with this? I like to repeat, I’m not into coding or anything like that.
So if possible, an easy and understanding way.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Alexander

While looking around for instructions for restoring a Cloud Backup using restic, did you come across this Help doc?

The general idea is that you’ll need to download the folder from Dropbox. This folder contains all of the snapshots (backups). Once that’s downloaded, you can use restic to list those snapshots and restore a specific one.

Yes I did. I’ve tried to follow the instruction on that page, but there’s something I’m doing wrong.

Do you have to put commands in the terminal like: restic restore desktopfolder with files folder where to export restored files password
all in one command, or you have to do this one by one like:
restic restore
desktopfolder with files
export folder
password
etc.

?

Yeah, it’s definitely a challenging thing if you’re not used to the terminal! I recorded something that should walk you through it. Let me know if you have any other questions!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.