Starting Local Machine hangs, VirtualBox reinstalled, consistently happening

Mac 10.13.3
Local 2.2.4
VirtualBox (not sure on the version as it fails to open and I’m scared to keep installing it over and over, see below, but it should be the most recent Mac version)

I’ve been using Local for a while, the past few months have been pretty rough trying to use it. I try not to shut it down, because as soon as its shut down, I know i’ll have to re-install the entire VirtualBox application over again. I’ve seen others have this problem via the search, but the reinstall of VirtualBox seems to solve it for them. For me its a very temporary fix.

After closing the server once I get the “starting local machine…” hangup. Checking the logs I see the attached.
local-log.log (2.7 KB)

I’ve reinstalled VirtualBox half a dozen times now, and it never actually cures the problem for more than one start of the server. To make it worse, now when this happens I’m starting to lose sites saying they have no SQL info (I cannot remember that specific message, but I’m nervous to keep doing these steps as more sites keep coming up useless locally after I do it).

Whenever I try to open VirtualBox, I get something along the lines of:

Effective UID is not root (euid=501 egid=20 uid=501 gid=20) (rc=-10)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

where: SUPR3HardenedMain what: 2 VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED (-10) - Permission denied.

I’m looking for any help, any direction, to try to fix this without breaking existing sites. It looks like a permissions issue, but I am an “admin” mac user. Not sure if I need to do something else.

Thanks in advance for any nudges in the right direction.

Hi Andy,

So sorry for the trouble with VirtualBox!

Can you please try the following?

1. Quit Local if it’s running
  2. Open Terminal
  3. Run the following command and provide your password when prompted:
sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh restart
  1. Go to System Preferences » Security & Privacy
  2. Click on the “Allow” button if present
  3. Re-open Local

If the issue persists, try running the following in Terminal and then restart Local:

for bin in VirtualBox VirtualBoxVM VBoxNetAdpCtl VBoxNetDHCP VBoxNetNAT VBoxHeadless; do
    sudo chmod u+s "/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/${bin}"
done