Mac OS - Stuck at Starting Local Machine

Mac Os 10.13.4
Local 2.2.4

Tried:
turning off firewall,
sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh restart

and just about everything else I can find on this site…

I did have trouble installing Local but was successful when uninstalled previously installed Docker and VirtualBox and started from scratch. The next day… all I get is “Starting Local Machine” and the three dots…

It appears on VirtualBox that Local is not successful connecting with VirtualBox as the machine remains powered off.

Hi @gdavis0007,

Sorry for the trouble!

Can you please provide your local-by-flywheel.log file? See
"How do I retrieve Local’s log file?" for instructions on how to do so. This will give us more information beyond the fact that it’s getting stuck on “Starting Local Machine.”

Sure… first, here is what I found successful:

I found it best to make sure Docker is running and to open VirtualBox first. Then check to make sure in VB settings that Network Adapter 1 is on NAT, and Network Adapter 2 is a Host-only Adapter with a name. Sometimes a name is not able to be selected. If that is the case, I have found success but shutting down VB then running the following in Terminal:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh restart

And the restarting VB and checking the settings again. On my machine the Adapter 2 name is vboxnet0.

From there… right-click the local-by-flywheel machine and “start headless”.

Then fire up Local… this time, rather than seeing: “Starting Local Machine…” I get: “Checking System” and I am off to the races.

Perhaps not all the steps are necessary but it works. I also just notice in the logs that I had several Host-only Adapters with the same IP address and VB selected vboxnet0 versus vboxnet4…

local-by-flywheel.log (92.7 KB)

Cheers

Gary

1 Like

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the information! Glad you were able to get past “Starting Local Machine.” as well.

Do you still have to go through hoops when starting Local or has the issue ironed itself out?

Thanks for checking in

as long as the VirtualBox is open and the Docker image started in Docker, then it works fine in Flywheel… a kludge but it works.

1 Like

My most sincere thanks!!

I’m sorry I do not know English.

Thank you very much!!

1 Like

@gdavis0007 @silvia86,

Can you both try this test build? You can replace your existing Local by Flywheel.app directly.

worked like a charm! Thank you!!

Wonderful! Thanks for trying it out :slight_smile: