Troubleshooting Local Connect with WPE

Haven’t been a part of this thread up to this point but still experiencing the issue and have been for months. Don’t think it’s been working since version 6.x or so for me?

macOS Monterey 12.7.1

local-lightning-verbose.log (12.9 KB)

Hi @will_frogdog!

I moved your comment into its own post since you mentioned experiencing issues for months, as that post/thread was specific to a recent bug and not something that would have been impeding you all the way back to version 6.

For some more details can you explain what specifically has been going on? Have you been able to use Local at all but just can’t get it to Push/Pull with WPE? Or has the issue been intermittent?

There are some different ways to access and share Local Logs, and the one you shared doesn’t quite tell the whole story. For us to be able to troubleshoot thoroughly, please click the Download Local Logs button from the Support tab in Local. This will generate a zip archive that contains the Local log along with some other diagnostic information to help quickly zero in on any issues that Local is encountering.

Oh sorry, it was specifically relevant to the 'Local couldn’t load the file list!" error message and the rsync failure in the logs.

The issue is persistent. I haven’t been able to get any sites to pull across two different WPE accounts. I’ve tried deleting and regenerating API keys on both accounts.

Local works fine for locally hosting if I manually import/export a site to sync it, but that defeats the primary benefit of Local for me.

Attached at the proper log exports: (4.7 KB)

1 Like

Hi @will_frogdog

Based on the logs it looks like there might be a port conflict occurring. Here are some steps to help us identify and address this:

  • Stop all sites that are running in Local

  • Force quit Local

  • (If using Mac) Run the command lsof -nP -iTCP -sTCP:LISTEN

  • (If using Windows) Run the command netstat -ano

What you’ll be looking for here is to see when sites are stopped and Local is properly shut down if there are still programs running on ports 80 and 443. These may be conflicting with Local or the system may be reporting Local is still running.

Once you run that command you should see a list of listening ports. If you see a particular program making use of those ports, you can then kill that process by running sudo kill -9 XXX where XXX is the PID number of that process. (On Windows you will use taskkill /F /pid XXX where XXX is the PID number of that process)

There are also some more details around this and other troubleshooting steps at this link if needed: Stopping Whatever Is Listening On Port 80.

Something else that could contribute to port conflicts could be running other developer applications simultaneously. That could also cause similar issues. Apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker for example. To get around this you can try changing your Router Mode to Localhost if killing processes doesn’t work. (Preferences>Advanced>Router Mode>Localhost)

Thank you for that feedback.

Although – the port problem was due to me also running Lando ( when starting up Local to perform a sync. The issue is easily resolved by turning Lando’s docker containers off.

This is unrelated to the primary issue file list loading issue I believe.

Nice! Thank you for the clarification. Glad to know that’s not a larger issue.

As far as the Rsync errors in your log they are slightly different than what we were seeing with the bug from the other thread.

Are you using an office/work network where there might be some throttling or firewall in place?

Do you utilize a VPN? If so does it make a difference if it’s toggled on/off?

Do you mind if I test connecting to your WPE sites just to see if I can pull? I won’t attempt to push anything. I can see a handful of your sites based on your email listed here. If I need to discuss anything in further detail I can DM you to keep it from a public comment.

So I got out an old Macbook and was able to successfully sync there on version 8.1 with and without VPN enabled.

Then I restarted my desktop that was having the issue and now that’s working as well…so strange.

I had tried everything up to this point, complete uninstall/reinstalls of various versions of LocalWP, vpn on/off. different wifi networks…

Just needed you to spook the gremlins out of my machine apparently…

Thanks so much for stickin with me through this!

1 Like

Glad to hear that fixed things up @will_frogdog! Don’t forget it’s never a good idea to feed your Desktop after midnight… :smirk:

If you have any other questions or concerns don’t hesitate to reach back out. We are always happy to help!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.