Unable to open Local app in Windows

What issue or error are you experiencing?

The Local app is not opening at all on my Windows system. Earlier it was working fine.

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

Video - Watch - Screencastify

System Details

• Local Version:

• Operating System (OS) and OS version:

Local Logs

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Thanks for sharing the video and your logs, @kartikparmar.

The logs show that your sites.json file contains unexpected content. This is the file that Local uses to store your site data. Please could you share it with me via a direct message? (Click my profile photo, then click “message”.)

On Windows you can find the file like this:

1. Open the Windows File Explorer.
  2. Make sure you have enabled “show hidden items”.
  3. Browse to This PC → [your hard drive] → Users → [your username] → AppData → Roaming → Local.
  4. Share the sites.json file (it might just appear as ‘sites’) without editing it.

Hi @nickc

Thanks for your quick response.

The sites.json file is showing empty. I have shared the same with you.

FYI, I have been facing this issue since 19th April 2024 when I shut my laptop after quite a long time, and then I switched it on again and the windows got updated to the version I shared earlier.

Thank you for the reply and DM, @kartikparmar.

Since Local’s site data is missing (your sites themselves should still be on your hard disk — it’s just the sites.json file that is blank), you can try restoring sites in a couple of ways:

If you have a backup of your hard drive, you can try restoring that sites.json file to an earlier version.

If you don’t have a backup, you can try to recover your existing sites by following these steps:

1. Quit Local.
  2. Open the Windows File Explorer.
  3. Make sure you have enabled “show hidden items”.
  4. Browse to This PC → [your hard drive] → Users → [your username] → AppData → Roaming → Local.
  5. Rename the sites.json file to sites-old.json.
  6. You should now be able to start Local. Your sites will not appear in the list, but we’ll try to restore them next.
  7. In Windows File Explorer, locate your Local sites here: PC → [your hard drive] → Users → [your username] → Local Sites.
  8. Right click each of your sites folders, and choose “Compress to ZIP file” to make a zip file from each site folder.
  9. Drag each zip file into Local to import it (you may have to give it a new name when prompted to choose one during import).

Hi @nickc

Thank you for your help. The issue is resolved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.