WPS-hide-login plugin breaks local admin

Issue Summary

I pulled a site from WP Engine that had wps-hide-login activated to make the login url something other than /wp-login. Trying to use the wp-admin button in Local takes me to a 404 page unless I remove the plugin from the plugins directory.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    Just sites with wps-hide-login installed and admin set to a different url

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    Yes, default new site works fine.

System Details

v6.4.1
Windows 10 Professional_

Is there any way that an admin url setting can be defined in the preferences?

Hello @graviteski - welcome to the Local Community! :wave:

That sounds like expected behavior given the WP Admin button will redirect to the native /wp-login.php if you’re not logged in.

Does that plugin need to be enabled for your Local development?

Are you able to use the One-click admin with that plugin enabled?

Sam

Many thanks for that, happy to be here!

The plugin doesn’t need to be enabled for local development, but having pulled the site from WP Engine Connect, I’m concerned that I’ll forget to reinstall the plugin once I have made my changes when it comes to pushing them back up to WP Engine!

I tried the One-click admin and it gave me a weird scenario where I was logged in at the top of the page in the WP admin toolbar, but every admin page still gave the 404 error.

I think the only real way around this would be to allow a custom url setting for the admin in the Local preferences? I appreciate that isn’t going to happen any time soon.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave (@graviteski),

Thanks for that extra follow up.

That could be an interesting feature enhancement in the future, for sure. I don’t know that the use case is broad enough, but feel free to write up a feature request for it here in the community. :slight_smile:

For now, will disabling the plugin work for your purposes and allow you to continue forward in Local for development?

Sam :woman_technologist:t3:

Hi Sam,

Yes, disabling the plugin by moving the wps-hide-login folder outside of the site root has worked to allow me to continue forward with my Local development. I am unsure whether replacing it before pushing my changes back up to WP Engine will re-activate the plugin with the original settings, but I will run a test on staging and find out.

Cheers, Dave

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.